What do you think?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by FrankenScagMachines, May 7, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I might get this truck. It's a:
    1985 Ford F150 Lariat XLT ext. cab long bed 2WD dual tanks V8 (302 I think) automatic with 127k miles. The engine was replaced with a professionally rebuilt one less than 40k miles ago. Heat and A/C each have some problems. Power windows need a helping hand to work. Rust in the usual spots and light rust on the hood. A few dents and small bangups on it. The rear fuel tank has a leak so just use the front one and the gauge for the front one doesn't work properly so use the odometer and figure on about 200 miles or so. Muffler is shot but sounds good, thats ok cause I would straight it anyway. It's fuel injected with a choke (uses a rocker switch to operate. Bucket seats up front and a bench in back (cloth front vinyl back) cloth floor. Oh and the brakes have a problem. Has a hissing noise that changes tune when you press the pedal and it has very very little stopping power. He said he replaced the rear brake pads a while back and thinks that he may not have properly bled the lines, that or the master cylinder he thinks? The hissing seems to come from up front, I wonder if it just needs bled correctly? I drove it around the block, seems like an OK truck. Price on it is $550 on the sign, I never said anything about the price but he said that his wife told him to sell it for $400. They just want it out of their way sounds like. I may throw 350 at him and walk out with it. Probably take it to our favorite mechanic for a diagnosis tomorrow. Whatcha'll think?

may07363.jpg

2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Tires in back OK, newer ones on front are plenty good. Best of all it is a Ford!

Also how well would a 2wd plow? I guess a 7' plow is best size on this being a 2wd half ton? Remember we don't get alot of snow at once (6-8" is alot at once and usually it melts off within a few days) average snowfall about 3-4".

may07364.jpg

3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

BHB-That kinda looks like a money pit..Those models (in 150)ain't the best pick for a work truck,I had an 84 dad had an 84,85,89,94 all f150s all bought new.

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Looks are deceiving ;) It is mechanically sound less the brakes as far as I can tell. The mechanic will tell me what all is wrong or about to go. He's been good to us everytime and has had plenty of opportunity to do us wrong but hasn't. Hey it would get me by until I could get a newer F250 :)

5. Krois Landscaping

Krois Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'd save up my money for something better. While the price may seem right, you may dump $3k into that truck and it's still a 1985 Ford F150.

I almost bought an older truck, but went with a newer one. Unless you're a mechanic or can get parts at cost and have a cheap mechanic, i wouldn't buy someone else's problems.

The list you wrote of problems is probably common after that many miles, but why buy a piece of junk?

A 2wd pickup is useless for plowing. The truck doesn't have a plow, so i wouldn't add one.

Save your money for something better. It's not worth buying something cheap.

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I know whatcha mean... an '86 F150 with a 6 cylinder reg. cab long bed a/t they were asking $1100. Forget how many miles it had. Looked about like this one but tan.

The heat and a/c and windows no big deal right now. The engine is smooth and responsive. I can work on it myself no big deal and I have an account at the parts warehouse store parts cheap. Just the brakes I'd rather leave to the pros ;)
    I was wondering if with the little snow we get if a bunch of bricks or sand in the bed would do OK just for this winter? Well I may not want to invest in a plow until i have something better to put it on.
    For $350 with a newly rebuilt engine I could get my money back out of it easily enough, even with alittle investment. Gonna have to wait to see what the mechanic says first I guess.

7. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

BHB-wouldn't your van get you by till f250?That 1ton van is more suited to Work than weak half ton p/u.I'm kinda makin do with older truck till I can get new powerstroke.It gets old when you gotta spend a little money on them,but a 5 or 6 hundred dollar a month truck payment would really get old.:eek:

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I would not get a 150 series Ford truck for this industry. Keep your van, save for a F-250 or better.

That one looks like a $$ pit.

Don't ask if you don't want an honest answer.

9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

The van is my parents'. It is nice and looks and drives new, as reliable as they come. But I can't do anything with it because it's theirs and they sometimes want the benches so I couldn't put stuff in there (plus there's no where for the benches elsewhere :eek: ). Yes it would get me by but it's not very practical since i don't have alot of trailer space (it's full now) and all... with a truck I could put my gas cans, toolbox, 21" mower, etc. in it and save that space on the trailer. The tailgate on that truck is done for too but I would make my own custom gate if I got it.
    My uncle used to use an '87 Dodge 1/2 ton 318 V8 a/t reg cab long bed 2wd truck to pull a 16' flat bed (heavy car hauler) with antique tractor(s) on it no problem. It was hard on it but did fine. I figure that is twice the load I'll ever have mostly.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

How lenient is inspection in columbus?

302 TBI is ok. Problem with ac is no big deal. Problem with heat is potentially expensive and a necessary fix. Thats too long to plow in 2wd with---you won't be able to back out of your drifts. Brake noise sounds like a vacuum leak to me---no big deal.

I think I would hold out for a 4x4---if you go ford get an older one with solid front axle. If you go dodge or chevy, well.....you can't go wrong.;)

Good luck!