What Do You Think?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by RB, Dec 18, 2000.

1. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Pgh, Pa. they're predicting about 2" beginning Tuesday (tomorrow) at about 6:00a.m. thru noon. Temps will be about 25 degrees when the snow starts.

Should I pretreat lots this evening? Or should I just wait and see what happens? Maybe plan on running the truck thru the lots and salting main areas after we get close to 2"?

What would you guys do?

I think I answered my own question. I'm thinking I'll pretreat this evening and be prepared to plow and spot salt tomorrow late am. or early pm.

Was I right? Thanx everyone.

Ron.

2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Up here in Erie, we'll start salting at 2 AM tomorrow (Tuesday) even if it's not snowing yet (and it should not be according to the local forecasters). And, we'll charge for it too.

Funny.... they're predicting 2" in Pittsburgh and 1" in Erie, from the same storm. Doesn't happen often like that.

Hope you get it.

3. matthew Urban

matthew Urban LawnSite Member

Well, the same storm is comming here(western mass.)and while I won't jinx myself I will say, I may be getting my Christmas wish.
    keeping fingers crossed, just to be sure.

4. RB

John,

Quick question:

With temps at about 20 degrees, if I salt prior to a snow storm, and temps stay the same, will a good salting melt an inch or 1 1/2 inches? P.S. No sun either tomorrow.

5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

My guess is that it will melt about 1/3 of that and then refreeze. Be real carefull with salt melting snow, refreeze is a serious issue, unless you have traffic to keep it fluid. That is why magic works so well, it prevents that refreeze. Salt dilutes out real fast, it can handle only about 1/25" of moisture at 20 degrees before refreeze occurs. With straight salt, grit included would be a good idea.
    Dino

6. RB

Thanx Dino