What do you think

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The landscaper, Dec 11, 2004.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

What do you think of the great dane super surfer? How does it compare to other stand ons?

2. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

ii have a 2001 Great Dane surfer with a 17 hp kawi. Have had no majors problems with it. good machine. quick. nice stripes.

3. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Thats about what I was looking at, I think around 2001, 17 kaw.

4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have 2 of them a 2001 23 horse Kaw. and a 2004 23 horse Kaw. they are both great machines and I will keep buying them until somebody sells me something better.I can't really copare it to the other standers because I have not used them.

5. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Which one's are John Deere?

6. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Its a ok machine but wright makes a better product. I have ran both the GD and the JDs. So I know what I am talking about. The GD will not handle hills as well as the Wright and its longer wheel base makes it more prone to scalping. The GD's only advange is it has a floating deck.

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I demoed the new Gen II SS this fall at Expo. I can't say anything bad about them, but I will take my Wrights any day. I feel the controls / hydro response to be much better on the Wrights, as well as comfort from the operator position. I haven't had one area of any lawn where I have scalped with the Stander fixed deck, so the floating deck would be neglible at best. I spent an average of $ 600.00 extra on my walkbehinds to get floating decks, and rarely ever changed the cutting height to get the use from them in that respect. It's all a matter of preference, and I prefer Wright. :D

9. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Silver Member

I have two origional surfers ( 1997 & 98 22hp Kohlers) They are great. I have a JD 657 (54" stand-up, basically the same as the Super Surfer) The JD cuts great BUT there is too much weight on the front casters. Less hillside stability, more turf damage when turning around ( helps if you stop at the end of your row, back up, and then sling the front around.) The origionals have more weight on the drive wheels and will turn easily and smoothly. You don't even have to think about it. The Wright stander is similarly balanced, but I prefer the old Origional surfer.

10. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The JD's are quick trak's. They are made a lot like the GD.

I like the GD surfers. I've never used on ebut they look like good mowers and I would buy one if I needed it and if there was a dealer close.