1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What do you use for a drag after aerating?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mr.Ziffel, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Ready to drag over plugs and some topsoil I've used to level a few low spots in about 3.5 acres of nice lawn before I overseed. Thought I'd use a 6'x6' section of chain link with a piece of heavy angle iron at the tow end with maybe a railroad tie at the back end. Does this sound about right or do you use something else? Thanks for any info. Will M>

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Thats what I use, only I have some old scrap metal flat stock bolted on in verious places. Work good.....

3. Mr.Ziffel

Thanks for the reply. Will M>

4. 04SIERRA04

04SIERRA04 LawnSite Member

I use a 48" peice of old harrow attached to a chain and pulled behind the Kubota. Works wonders.

If I were just trying to get rid of the Aerator plugs and not leveling anything, I would just set the detatcher to the highest setting and do the entire lawn.

Heads up though, I'm not an expert!

Cheers,
    04Sierra04

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Why bother dragging? Mowing after the plugs are dry will break them up and return the topsoil into the ground.

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i agree with rodfather.
    we never drag... we just punch before we mow.

7. HydroRI

HydroRI LawnSite Member

I use a drad mat from Lesco. It is the same one they use on Baseball fields it works well for me.

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

if you must drag, just gat a piece of chainlink fence and attach it to a 2x4 on one end and drag away

9. Mr.Ziffel

Thanks for the replies guys. Rod, I have mowed twice now after plugs and must be that I've got some areas of clay soils but there are places that look like they're covered with little gray goose turds. It's rained twice since I aerated and they're still there. All of the pasture areas I've had tested show as 'sandy/silty loam' but there must be some fill in these areas which are in the lawn part [I'm doing about 3.5 acres of lawn and 20+ acres of pasture]

I've made a drag with a piece of 6 foot 1.5 inch angle I welded to a 6 foot wide by 5 foot section of heavy calf pen fencing from the dairy next door. It has 6"x6" square sections made up of approx. 3/16" welded wire - much stiffer and heavier duty than chain link. I put a railroad tie at the rear but that tore up the turf so I just pulled the drag itself [behind my Kubota RTV with the spreader mounted to the front]. It really smoothed out all the areas where I added extra topsoil and somewhat broke up the "turds" but I need to seed tomorrow and Friday so whatever doesn't get broken up as I seed will just have to break up on its own when the rains come - I'm headed north to shoot ducks and geese and there's no project that'll keep me from that!
    Thanks for all the replies - Will M>

10. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

why do all that work? wait for them to dry