What do you use for a leaf box top?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Nov 6, 2006.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

How do you close in your leaf box on the top? Do you box it in with wood? tarp? or what do you use? If you use a tarp, what is the best tarp to use? I'm wanting to get a mesh tarp for the top, but I'm not sure where to find one. Thanks!

2. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

look at j tomas they may have one online

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I got mine at Northern Tool and Equipment. They're online as well.

4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Most here use tarps,i have seen L.C.O'S use plyewood on top of there stake body trucks. Seen a few with the solid sided with the tarps.

5. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

6. zimbobthelandscaper

zimbobthelandscaper LawnSite Member

we use the big 10 wheeler+ dump truck tarps that are used to cover their load its really strong and works great!

7. scaper27

scaper27 LawnSite Member

mesh tarp is perfect for airflow when closing in a box,

8. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a small trailer for behind a tractor. I used some of the really heavy screen/mesh that you put on windows. Its a little pricy but there was some extra in the basement. It works great!

9. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I have a truck box insert. I'm looking to get 5 years out of it. I made it with 3/4'' 2x4 and 2x8 goes though the middle and 1/4 ply wood for inside. its heavy and over kill but I don't have to go but 1/2 mile to dump. My next one will be made of 1/4'' plywood both inside & outside and 2x4 frame

MVC-003S.JPG

MVC-002S.JPG

10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

You know, as I was scanning the threads I thought about this one and how I'd always thought the sunshade on my dog kennel would work great. Turns out, it's the same material as the northern tool tarp except mine is 10x10.
    The 8x16 would be a good choice because you could box the top up to those dimensions and just use tarp bungies to attach so it could flex a little if need be. O well, I hate leaves so someone else will probably do it.