1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you use for weed control in beds

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by BCNU, Mar 22, 2008.

1. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

I have been using Preen for weed control in mulched flower beds and am wondering if there is something better for weed control. Is there a spray that will not harm flowers or shrubs? What product are you guys using in your mulched bed areas ? Thanks in advance for any information!!
  2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I have always used a pendimethalin product (such as Preen) with spot treatments of Roundup as needed throughout the season.
  3. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

Thanks for your response. This is what I have been doing also but wondered if there were any other options out there that may be better.
  4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, u can use snapshot which is two great products in one or use barricade and also apply gallery too for a broader spectrum. but snapshot really works best for ease of application. it ain't cheap. but in the end it is about results and the customer gets what they pay for right?!
  5. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

Grassman177, dose the snapshot work with flowers and shrubs? I guess what im asking is dose it just kill the weeds and not damage the flowers or shrubs? What about monkey grass or these types of grasses, will it damage these?
  6. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Snapshot is a pre-emergent, so it will not kill weeds. I believe it is cheaper then purchasing preen and it works.
  7. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

snapshot will only hurt annuals and perennials that are just coming back. Also some bulbs. I use surflan mixed with round up two apps a year work great for us we use half the chemicals and half the labor we actually use orzlyin in the liquid form pricey but we save on call backs and retreats. Plus with a good sprayer you can control it better than a granular product. The orange is an easy marker to I'd where you have treated.
  8. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Snapshot, - do it now....Pay the $$ ans you wont have to pay for your workers to weed or spray.. it works great...ONLY A PRE-emergant though...
  9. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

I ordered a Spred-Rite G last night to put down the snapshot. I have to find out who carries the snapshot here locally.
  10. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

You are on your way.