what do you use on first application?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kcowell, Apr 1, 2005.

1. kcowell

kcowell LawnSite Member

On your first application of fert. and pre-emergent, what product do you guys spray/put down and where do you get it? Prices anyone? How often to you go back to "touch it up"?
  2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Have you ever applied before?
  3. Macvols

Macvols LawnSite Member

You answered a question with a question!!!

Can you not answer this guy's question?
  4. kcowell

kcowell LawnSite Member

I am not licensed and will not apply until I am more knowledgeable to do the correct applications, etc. I have taken care of my yard, my parents, and a few friends for several years now and we all have great yards.

1. I've always started early by using a little Round-Up on the weeds I see and putting down some weed-n-feed (sometimes Scott's, sometimes Sam's Choice).
    2. I then let that work for a few weeks and go back and "spot shoot" some leftovers with a Weed-B-Gone.

This has always worked well for the four yards I've been taking care of for a while, but this year my brother wanted me to do the same to his yard. The only difference is, I couldn't get to his early enough, and he has about every weed known to man is his yard. I wasn't able to use Round-Up because of his grass already starting to establish, so I sprayed a mix of Ferti-lome and Weed-b-gone about a week ago and put down a pre-emergent. Most of his weeds are gone, but I believe it's barnyard grass is still thriving. Some say I need to put down the ferti-lome again about a week to ten days after the first application and it should take care of everything.

Is this correct?

What do you guys use on your first application to get rid of everything?

Do you use different products when the grass has not starting greening as opposed to when it is already greening when you get to it?

Thanks for any advice.
  5. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

Kcowell may I suggest you read the thread "Is weed and feed safe around kids"
  6. kcowell

kcowell LawnSite Member

Okay, I've read it,now what? All I found out is that you seem to be too busy being an ass and telling people what to do and how to do it instead of helping and giving solid advice when you can. You gripe about people being on here for so long and having so many posts that they should know everything. I'm new, and yes I have read a lot, but that thread has absolutely nothing to do with my question on what you guys prefer to use on your first application, does it?

Starting over for the rest of you actually on here to have conversations and share info......

What do you guys prefer to use on your first application in the early spring? How does it work for you? Do you have to come back and "spot" treat after a few weeks?
  7. kcowell

kcowell LawnSite Member

Apologies ahead of time.........sorry for the abruptness, but I wasn't sure where you were coming from on your reply. I'm sure I read it a little different than you meant, maybe not. I was just hoping for something a little more constructive from someone who has as many posts as yourself.
  8. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I use 19-0-6 w/Dimension. It is a combo product, meaning the material is combined with fertilizer; granular. I purchase it at Lesco. Avoid excessive N (the first of 3 numbers in the fertilizer analysis).I am not sure what you mean by returning to "touch it up". You have to rely on your expertise to get an even application down the first time. That is what makes us professionals. Some do, however, do another application of pre-emergent to extend its length of coverage.
  9. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

.21% or .10% demension? The later is a split app.
  10. scagster

scagster LawnSite Member
    from n.ohio

we use 007 or13-2-5 10% dimension on our full maint. accounts, makes it a lot easier during the heavy growth period in the spring. the maint. crews really like the fact that i got my lisc. and fired our big green freind