What do you use to keep a schedule?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by All Pro Lawn Care, Mar 15, 2007.

1. All Pro Lawn Care

All Pro Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I have been using excel but I have started to get more customers. I just bought quick book pro but have not found a place to schedule all my jobs per day. I'm think about just writing them on a calander or something. Just wanting to know what you guys do to keep up with who you are mowing when. also looking to hire a driver soon and will need to have soemthing for him to follow.

Thanks aplc
  2. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

I use Excel also. If you can write macros, its very useful.
  3. All Pro Lawn Care

from Houston

my gf is having trouble doing the weekly mows/ bi weekly what do u mean by macros??? i was doing everything in excel. i just need some place where i can go look what i need to do that day
  4. All Pro Lawn Care

from Houston

I found macro in excel. could u try to expain how to kinda go about this. she should be able to figure it out.. thanks
  5. mike007

mike007 LawnSite Member

Unless Im mistaken a macro takes a certain "action" and does it automatically once certain criteria are met. Microsoft Office online has a good website and will answer any questions
  6. aric43085

aric43085 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Have you ever used Microsoft outlook. It works great for my business.
  7. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

old and reliable a calender is still the base of scheduling.
  8. Perfect Lawn

Perfect Lawn LawnSite Member

Lawn Pro Software Cheap and works real good.
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I use the "task" function on my Palm. You don't say how many clients. The "Task" function works well for me, but I only have about 45 on my list. I would think it would still work pretty well for many more.

A simple, low-tech way is a stack of index cards, with a hole/ring to keep them in order. Put a day-of-week card for each day (colored top, colored card, or some other way to denote different days) on the ring. Then make a card for each customer. Draw a line down the middle, on the left put the intended date to work, on the right, the actual day the work is done. Group every day's route together, put on the ring behind the d-o-w card. When every day is done, move the cards on the ring as necessary. If some customers are odd schedule, say every ten days, then they get shuffled to the right day.

With either of these schemes, nobody gets overlooked. As the names appear, something has to be done with the name - either get the work done and move the name/card, or it keeps appearing on the top, waiting to be done.

These schemes are good for small operation, but would never work for a large operation. From my early experiences, the key is to never let anybody "slip through the cracks." Work with a scheme that requires you to deal with a name on the day the work is to be done.

This is one of those procedures in which often the simplest way is the best way.
  10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I used QB for my billing, but for scheduling. I used excel.

allIdid was have the clinets listed vertically on a sheet of paper and each paper have 5 colums. One for every week of the month.

Each sheet of paper was one day. With a morning and afternoon run. So for a given month. I had 5 peices of paper. whichI kept in a three ring binder. This also served as my time card for the crews.

If a house was cut, the time of the cut was put in the column, if it was skipped, it was left blank. There was room to the righ of the column for any comments, (needs water, chinch bugs, ect...)

Also in the three ring binder was pics and serial numbers of all the equipment on the trailer, Insurance, Licence, pesticide cards, MSDS, Customer addy and phone numbers.

It kept the truck clutter down, and at the end of the day I cuold scan through real quick and see if I needed to call any clients about any notes I had taken.