What do you use to mow small fields?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cochino12, Sep 24, 2006.

  1. cochino12

    cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 319

    95% of my customers are small 1/4-1/2 acre lots with KBgrass. The other 5% are 1-3 acre lots with small grass area and the rest is weed and other native grass. I have been using an old sears riding mower but it doesnt really work that well and is pretty slow. What do you guys use on smaller fields? I was thinking an atv with a towable deck but I can seem to find anything?
     
  2. rodfather

    rodfather LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 9,501

    I have a couple of Toro 325D Groundsmasters for field type work...they will take just about anything down.
     
  3. walker/redmax

    walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 367

    I double cut with a Walker 52" SD deck. It makes waist high alfalfa look like a bagged lawn.:drinkup:
     
  4. 6'7 330

    6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,822

    We have 325D groundsmaster to,also newer 328 .The groundsmaster can take on and handle some very demanding mowing conditions.We also have groundsmaster 580D. They work excellently for mowing large areas,one of the greatest wide area mowers ever made . Practically indestructible, quality of cut is immaculate.
     
  5. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 21,653

    If it's really bad you might need to use a rough cutter but if you've been using that rider you speak of then your problem is simply that you're using homeowner equipment that was designed to tackle one yard / year for your commercial use.

    Now I use 48" Toro fixed deck Wb's for everything (well, almost everything, but what it can't do, I don't do).
     
  6. noseha

    noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI
    Posts: 554

     
  7. cochino12

    cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 319


    I'll have about 18-20 yards to do with this mower that are about 1-3 acres. I'd rather not have a WB because well, I really dont feel like walking it ha ha. I saw another company using a tow behind deck with an ATV and it looked like it worked pretty well.
     
  8. noseha

    noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI
    Posts: 554

    Do You Have A Atv? YOU HAVE 20 LAWNS AND YOU CAN'T WALK ? WHY DON'T YOU GET A SMALL ZTR?
     
  9. cochino12

    cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 319

    Looking for an atv now, figured I could use it for more than just goofing around. I have about 20 yards with fields that need mowed, I have a stander etc.. I was just wondering if there was something fairly inexpensive that would save us time on these few lots.
     

Share This Page