What do you use to mow small fields?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cochino12, Sep 24, 2006.

1. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

95% of my customers are small 1/4-1/2 acre lots with KBgrass. The other 5% are 1-3 acre lots with small grass area and the rest is weed and other native grass. I have been using an old sears riding mower but it doesnt really work that well and is pretty slow. What do you guys use on smaller fields? I was thinking an atv with a towable deck but I can seem to find anything?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have a couple of Toro 325D Groundsmasters for field type work...they will take just about anything down.

3. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

I double cut with a Walker 52" SD deck. It makes waist high alfalfa look like a bagged lawn.:drinkup:

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 325D groundsmaster to,also newer 328 .The groundsmaster can take on and handle some very demanding mowing conditions.We also have groundsmaster 580D. They work excellently for mowing large areas,one of the greatest wide area mowers ever made . Practically indestructible, quality of cut is immaculate.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If it's really bad you might need to use a rough cutter but if you've been using that rider you speak of then your problem is simply that you're using homeowner equipment that was designed to tackle one yard / year for your commercial use.

Now I use 48" Toro fixed deck Wb's for everything (well, almost everything, but what it can't do, I don't do).

6. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

7. cochino12

I'll have about 18-20 yards to do with this mower that are about 1-3 acres. I'd rather not have a WB because well, I really dont feel like walking it ha ha. I saw another company using a tow behind deck with an ATV and it looked like it worked pretty well.

8. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

Do You Have A Atv? YOU HAVE 20 LAWNS AND YOU CAN'T WALK ? WHY DON'T YOU GET A SMALL ZTR?

9. cochino12

Looking for an atv now, figured I could use it for more than just goofing around. I have about 20 yards with fields that need mowed, I have a stander etc.. I was just wondering if there was something fairly inexpensive that would save us time on these few lots.