What do you use?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by NHJAKE, Jun 10, 2006.

NHJAKE LawnSite Member

I'm about to spend some of my hard earned $$$$ on a refrecnce book of some type to guide me on maitenance of my customers shrubs, bushes, ect. What is a good one???? Thanks so much! :)
  2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

best advice...........go to a book store, there's lots............pick which one you best understand, like

what i did, you can spend an hour just looking/skimming through different horticulture books
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I asked a lot of questions, got most of my information from my customers and also from experience and friends.
    But what I learned and what I learn is always something that interests me and that means most things don't. People come on to me trying to teach me everything in one sitting, and I'm plain not interested because I'll never remember what a rhododendron looks like after they show me every single plant and tell me the scientifically formulated names of each and every leaf, should I act like I'm supposed to care? Yeah right, what a turn off, I'll learn what I want to learn, and the rest can kiss it.

So I still don't know most of them... I can tell you about boxwoods, hollies, azaleas, junipers, ivy, roses, crepe myrtles, norfolk firs, leyland cypresses and a few others, but that's about it and there are literally thousands of species out there. Then, each species has dozens and sometimes hundreds of varieties within. Lets not forget weeds, we have thistle, crabgrass, clover, milkweed, omg it never ends!

Take a juniper for example, I thought most junipers were all the same thing, figured there might be 3-4 different kinds... LOL !!! There must be 200 or more different varieties, same with boxwoods... Say, how much of an expert had you planned on becoming?

Seriously, I would get a book like someone else said, one that you understand.
    And leave all the rest alone.