What do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IMAGE, Oct 18, 2007.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

For mowing the average small lot. pics below

What type of mower would you use if you had to do about 40 of these weekly? Would you use different equipment if you wanted to do 60-70 weekly?:confused:

Also, what would you charge? I am thinking $30+tax :confused:

2. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

52" Stander
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

can't do a 52" I saw a gate....if you have a bunch of gates as long as they are 36" you'll be limited to a 36" WB or smaller. unless you use a 48 or 52 for the front and something different for the back.

I used a 52" lazer ZTR on all my properties. resi and commercial. but if you are just starting out and money is an issue Id look real hard at a 36" and then upgrade as you get more clients/larger props.
  4. SouthernCutter

SouthernCutter LawnSite Member

id use a 48 and then get one of your friends to work with you and run a 21 on the back yard but if you could get a 36 through that back gate, i would do a 36 allover....unless you already have a 48. then do a 48 in front and 36 in the back.
  5. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Actually that is a stock photo I found online. Around here gates are very very rare. Just wondering about what do use on yards that aprox size.

I know I could do lawns that size with a 21/36 push, but I dont want to work my ars off, and I want to be efficient with my time so I can do 4+/hour
    I am thinking about either 48 hyrdo wb or 48 rider zturn
    Is a 48 rider to big to use on small jobs?

I want to buy a good mower that will last a few yrs, and work the best for me. up to 10k if needed.
  6. SouthernCutter

SouthernCutter LawnSite Member

buy a Exmark 48 Hydro with ECS, Electric Start, 19hp with a sulky.....great mower, and it is about 6 brand new.....great mower, lasts a LONG time, and leaves a great cut. IMO a yard that small does not need a rider on it, a walk behind would be much more efficient
  7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

most of lots I did in Florida were under 1/2 acre. most were 1/4 acre....I started with the 36 Wb with velkie, and then jumped to a 52 lazer. no one complained. and then It gave the me opportunity on the really larger sites I had to make really good time.
  8. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

I am still sold on my Exmark HP 46" deck. I make it through the gates on the lawns that have fences. I am totally happy with it.
  9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I liked the 52 Wright Stander idea. An Exmark Lazer HP in 52 would prolly leave a nicer cut than the Stander. The only reason I would use a WB is for serious hills or ditches. If you can get around and between everything easily, go big.
  10. SwihartServices

SwihartServices LawnSite Member

36" stander with a floating deck. With anything bigger you'll tear up that hill. I'd go with the stander because doing 40 of them with a sulky or walking wouldn't be fun, and a ztr wouldn't stick to the hill. 30 per lawn sounds right on.