what do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KingMoneyNYC, May 24, 2008.

1. KingMoneyNYC

KingMoneyNYC LawnSite Member

What do you use to create the defined border around gardens beds? I'm talking about the look where the lawn is slightly above the garden bed...I know you can use a border spade but is there anything faster and easier?

Also, what do you use to thatch?

2. I rent a Brown (brand name) bed edger. It makes a teriffic border. Then I maintain it with my little Mantis tiller or line trimmer or whatever.
    The bed edge will last a good 3 years when cut with a bed edger. Maybe longer in other areas.

3. KingMoneyNYC

KingMoneyNYC LawnSite Member

sow easy is it to operate the bed edger? Why haven't you purchased on yet? Are they expensive?

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I (and several other guys here on LS) have Brown Mfg. bed edgers. It's going to run you around $2300 new. You can also check with your local rental dealer for when they sell theirs. If you use them a fair amount of time, they are great. But if not, rent.

There are other brands out there as well but I really like my Bed Edger.

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

6. Trenchblade

Trenchblade LawnSite Senior Member

You should check out the Trenchblade. You can use it on most stick edgers. It is cost effective and easy to use.there is a button on the right side of the page on the sponsors column

7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

This sweet little toy:

[​IMG]