what do you use?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by djlunchbox, Nov 5, 2010.

?

What do you tow with? Dump or reg. truck?

1. Chevy/GM Gas ( list motor and model)

30.6%
  2. Chevy/GM Diesel ( list motor and model)

11.1%
  3. Ford Gas (list motor and model)

30.6%
  4. Ford Diesel ( list motor and model)

22.2%
  5. Dodge Gas / Diesel (list motor and model)

5.6%
  1. djlunchbox

djlunchbox LawnSite Member

we are in the market for a truck. i am curious as to what guys are using on a daily basis in this industry. looking at a 1 ton dump that can pull a loaded 16 foot trailer loaded, and a few yards of stone or topsoil in the dump at the same time. please post the year and engine of your truck, and is it a pig or does it have power to spare. thanks!

2. Fresh_Cut

Fresh_Cut LawnSite Senior Member

5.4L in a '98 Ford E350 Box truck

Horrible mileage, plenty of power.....plenty

3. JNGLawncare

JNGLawncare LawnSite Member

5.8/351 97 ford f250 ext cab 4x4
    Great power tows like nothing is behind it, gas mileage is terrible 10 to 13.
    13 only happens on the highway.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

2001 Chevy C3500HD, 15K GVWR, 9200lbs empty, and I can haul 3.5 tons legally.

Has central hydrolics, 10 foot fisher trip edge plow, Flink under-tailgate salt spreader, 10 foot dump bed with drop sides, 19.5 steel rims, 8.1 motor with 4l80e auto trans.

The drop-sides are the bomb for loading or unloading pallets and my forks and bucket for my mini skid.

The 8.1 has more than enough power for what I do, and If I have a motor failure it would be a fraction of the cost to replace over a deisel.

[​IMG]

5. djlunchbox

thanks for the replies so far guys, good stuff!

white gardens, i take it you pull your skid on a heavy trailer, the 8.1 has power to spare when towing with a loaded bed?

6. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

7.3l f350...

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Oh ya. The skid gets pulled on a 10 K, 14ft tilt trailer. The mini only weighs around 2000lbs, so it's not much on the truck. At most I might also have my Backhoe attachment with it also, but that doesn't affect it much.

If I need a little extra power on hills, all I have to do is let off the throttle and it shifts into 3rd. (that is actually for engine braking on hills) Generally though at road speed it will pull a hill in D with minimal loss of power.

Even if it does go a little short on power, if I'm pulling a large load, I'm pretty easy on it as I want to make sure I can make a panic stop if I need to.

The 8.1 is a stroked out 454, so the total comes to 492. My sweet spot in the RPM range is around 2700 RPMs.

8. djlunchbox

good info, thanks!:clapping:

9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I've got a 2007 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0L vortec gas engine. It is great driving unloaded, great mileage and pretty fast. It gets 20mpg doing 55mph and 17-18mpg doing 65-70mph.

It is also great when towing. My trailer weighs 2700lbs empty, the mower is near 2000lbs, then a full load of grass and leaves is another 1500lbs +/-. So I'd say that I tow 6000+lbs fairly regularly. It tows that perfectly with plenty of power to spare. It does have the tow/haul mode which makes things even nicer when towing. The only bad part about the truck is that when towing it only gets 9mpg.

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

05 2500HD 6.0L regular cab 8ft bed 4x4

plenty of power..gets 11-12 MPG loaded or unloaded

i love the truck and its a great work truck