1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what do you want from your dealers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sawman65, Apr 3, 2004.

1. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

hello,my name is john i manage the bigest outdoorpower equipment company in my area. i sell anything from a homeowner trimmer to a dozer that will cut a two lane road.i found this website a few weeks back and love it
    i am allways trying to give better service to my customers and would like to ask you one question. what do you want from your dealer that you dont get now or think could be better.
    thanks for your input john
  2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

customer service!!!

when my gear is broken,i need my dealer to have the parts in stock and ready to fix.
  3. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

When I order a part from my dealer that he or she does not stock, I want them to order it THAT DAY even if they don't make their minimum order for that distributor and unpack orders when they come in, and call as soon as they are in. In the busy season have someone full time that keeps track of incoming shipments and communicates with the person who calls customers telling them their parts are in. :D :D :D

Pete D.
  4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

pete do you have a problem paying overnite freight??
  5. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

HONESTY, if it is going to take 2 weeks to get a part or repair my machine tell me don't tell me it will be ready in a day or two.
  6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I for one will only pay over night freight if I need it bad. I.e. Dealer doesn't have a loner. I feel that I loose money every time I have to wait for a part. A few extra bucks to get a part over night is nothing compared to what I am going to lose in lost productivity.
    I wont go to a dealer that wont go the extra mile to fix my equiptment. That means if I bring it in at 3pm I expect the mechanic to stay till it is fixed. (within reason) I don't want that mechanic to go home at 5 pm when he only has maybe another hour to get me running in the morning. I for one will pay the extra over time it is going to cost the dealer. (again within reason)
    If the dealer keeps me happy, I in turn will keep him happy. I.e. I wont goto some because of the bad reputation that spread through out the other LCO's.
  7. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

Sawman I have long since given up on recieving excellent service from anyone ( in any industry ), hell I don't even expect really good service any more, if I get good to adequate service then thats all I expect now after years of searching.
  8. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Like everyone said customer service ranks #1. Just the other day I had a minor breakdown, took my mower to my dealer and they put it on the top of there list and had it ready in a few hours. Things like that make me go back and buy more stuff from them and wouldnt even think of switching dealers.
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

All of the above. Put down the ryobi weedeater and work on our stuff. And hire mechanics that can actually fix something from time to time. I order from j-thomas, pay for next day, fix it myself and its done right, and cheaper than the dealer. So I no longer have the need for one, thats what it has come to. Now im the dealer, and mechanic, and if i dont have a part i need i blame myself. Oh and call when its ready. no, when its ready, so i dont call and you say, yeah its done.
  10. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not at all have a problem paying overnight freight. It is not available through all dealers though. I use to have a dealer that use to keep in stock one of every part that I would buy from him on a regular basis and that was GREAT but he sold his buiz to a person that is not a proactive type and does not want to keep parts in stock....even common ones. I see this a lot more now as compared to 10 years ago. Why do you think that is?

Pete D.