What do you wear plowing???

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by HandyHaver, Dec 9, 2000.

1. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

I was just wondering if there are certain brands of clothes,
    gloves, boots hats ect. that may be prefered. I am going to be plowing mostly res. drives & clearing walks. I'll have help with me running the snow blower to do the walks, but I'm sure that I'll be done before they are ( on some) and I'll get the shovel. I can see me being in & out of the truck ALOT!!! I hunt all winter long and know how to dress in layers, have decent boots, gloves ect. Are there any preferences or just common sense.

2. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

NO jackets with collars or hoods. My head spins around too many times, and I end up with severe irritation on my neck from the collar rubbing.

3. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I wear carhartt coveralls some waterproof boots ($24.00 from KMart), a headband that covers ears and most importantly a good pair of gloves; the type w/fingers exposed. I put them on when I leave the house and leave them on until I get home.

I think the key is to be comfortable. Don't worry too much about dressing for artic weather. You'll be working hard and generating some heat.

4. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Birthday suit with coat and tie. I like to make a good impression on our clients.

5. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

I would think the cold would tend to shrink the impressionable aspects of your appearance................

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

7. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

What... his ears ??

8. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

All my guys have Carhartt cloats and lined pants for plowing, the Shovelers get coveralls.

Geoff

9. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

All our trucks have heaters.

Our guys are required to wear collared shirts (polo) and be clean shaven in case they come into contact with a customer.

I myself prefer a short sleeve polo with dockers. I keep the gloves, carhart jacket (for repairs) and leather coat (for style) in the back seat, but I don't wear that while plowing.

Turn up the heat, keeps the windows clear!

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I plow in t-shirt and jeans. A quilted flannel shirt and watch cap on the seat go on when I need to clear walks, the leather coat hanging on the hook behind the drivers seat goes on when I need to deal with a customer. Oh yeah several pairs of insulated work gloves lined up on the floor to dry (courtesy of a friend at the local electric utility).