What Do You Wear ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Nov 17, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

When you call on potential customers what type of clothing do you wear? If you don't have company uniforms what do you wear? Shirt & Tie or do you go for the more casual look? Please explain the reasons for what you wear. Thanks for your advice.

Mowman

2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowman,
    I wear khaki shorts and a clean polo shirt.

I dont dress any fancier because I dont feel that is my image. This is a sweaty, casual profession.

Contacts in the snow are treated to my Eddie Bauer Coat I received for Xmas.

I know there is another post like this, but cant remember the title?

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I would probably go like toro does but i
    know a car body man who use to say
    show me a plumber in a shirt and tye
    and ill show you a future millionair,
    I wasn t sure what he meant but he now
    owns a whole chain of body shops in
    charlotte and surrounding areas.
    WILBURNS AUTO BODY

4. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

When going out to bid I or whomever is going to do the bid wears khakis with a company shirt (polo style).. and work boots. The same that we cut in other than the polo shirt it's just a regular company shirt.

Mike
    Greenkeepers

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

In the colder season i just wear heavy clothing with no logo, but in warm temps i wear baseball style caps with logo and shirts with logo, and shorts mostly tan in color. I think with the logo it does look a bit more business like. But after about a hour there wet and getting dirty anyway so i guess its up to the Lawn Co------Marks Mowing Service--PS no matter what you wear always do the best job that you can.

6. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

When mowing, I wear blue jean shorts and tan or green Dickies t-shirts and a company tan hat.

When meeting with clients on a non-mowing visit, like for bidding and such, I wear same except the t-shirts. I wear in place of a t-shirt nice polo style bright green shirt with my company logo embroidered on the chest just the same as my hats.

Clean cut look is a first impression that I make sure my prospects see. I make sure I have shaved and haircut is in shape. I even take out the ol' ear ring on cold calls and first time meetings. Once you have the account and they see what type of work you do for a while, then these issues can be a little more forgiving.

7. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

If I'm visiting during my cutting day, I wear what I wear to cut. Khaki cargo (long or short as per weather), a company t-shirt, and work boots. If it's during off hours, I wear clean khaki's (long or short as per weather), a company polo, and clean shoes unless I need boots.

8. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Cold (40's or lower) days: Jeans, pullover sweatshirt.
    Hot days: Denim shorts, white or gray t-shirt (tucked in.)
    If it isn't too hot I wear a s/s button shirt over the t.
    Hiker boots, they are light and comfortable.
    White socks, so they can be bleached.

I like the polo shirts, but I can get dirty by walking near a mower.