What do ypu guys use to sharpen you pole chain saws?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaybow, Jul 23, 2012.

1. dltnt

dltnt LawnSite Member

A file can be used anywhere. You are still going to go through the learning process with a dremmel but a hand file is easier.

2. chagh2.0

chagh2.0 LawnSite Member

dont forget you rakers you should just look for a chain saw file kit

3. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

What is rakers?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl used to have an excellent tutorial on their website.
    I don't see it now though.
    Also, if you buy a Stihl file and guide kit it has excellent instructions.
    You can download a manual for any of their chain saws and it's in there.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  5. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Good advice best to hit em a few licks before you start cutting or immediately after.

On the file you need to be sure you get the right one.
    Ex.
    Bar says .325 micro
    A regular .325 is not the right file, get one that fits for a .325 micro.
    my .02

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The rakers are the front part of each cutting link that sticks up just in front of the cutting edge. They "rake" the chips from the previous cutter out of the groove ahead of the cutting edge so it can get a clean bite into the wood.

Husqvarna makes the best saw sharpening kits I have ever seen or used. I own one for the three most common sized chians used these days (3/8" micro, .325", and 3/8" std pitch). Once you learn to use them, they are extremely fast too use, and leave an exceptionally sharp chain.

These are the main part of the kit I mentioned-
    http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/product-accessories/filing-equipment/file-gauges/

7. Geronimo

Geronimo LawnSite Member

There is a lot of great advice on here. I sharpen mine the same way I sharpen my chainsaw chains and that is with a round rat tail metal chainsaw file. Get someone to show you how to do it or watch a video on YouTube. You only file one way and that is AWAY from you but using opposite hands depending on the angle of the tooth you are sharpening. If you hit each tooth 4 or 5 strokes after each cutting you should never have a problem. I would never let anyone else sharpen my chains!