1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What does 1 cubic yard of topsoil weigh

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jhgilliland, Apr 3, 2005.

1. jhgilliland

jhgilliland LawnSite Member

I was looking to cover roughly 12000 sq ft of ground with 4" of topsoil, but i purchase by the ton. Im looking to know what 1 cubic yard of topsoil weighs under normal conditions. Just curious if there are any good sites on the internet for this. I didnt find any.
  2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

One cubic yard is about a ton.

3. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Get a pocket reference guide. Mine is by Thomas J. Glover Sequoia Publishing.

4. greywynd

greywynd LawnSite Member

Since you are going to be purchasing it, ask who you are purchasing it from. Most loaders have a volume stamped on a tag on the bucket, or the operators know what size they are. Weight will vary depending on the soil, and the moisture content. Here in Ontario, 'A' gravel (3/4" stone and smaller sand mix, typical for driveways and cement mix, etc.) usually weighs close to a ton/yard.(Forgot we usually get weighed in 'metric tonnes' about 2200 lbs) I usually figure topsoil to be somewhat lighter. If you figure out the 'yards' you need (if i figured it out right i get about 134, but please double check my math) talk to your supplier and see how they can help you out. If you buy a lot of topsoil from him, I'm sure he'll be able to help you out. Hopefully the site is such that the trucks can dump 'on the spot' so that yur spreading is less.

5. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

a yard averages 2200-2400 depending on moisture

12k at 4" would average out to about 145 tons or so
  6. jhgilliland

jhgilliland LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies. I estimated 150 tons for the job. Thanks again.
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I get ttl of 3375 lbs per cu yard at 125 lbs per cu foot and 27cu foot in a yard.useing the chart above.