What does a 12' landscape body cost?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Havnt gotten any quotes yet. I'm looking at putting it on a 200" wb f-550. I like the Rugby uni-body ones, the one without all the stakes, mainly to use for hauling mulch, dirt, sand and crushed stone. I've heard guys spending 6k, 8k, 10k... I saw at a local ford dealer they had some body similar for 11k! yikes.

Im only assuming, since you can buy 14' trailers in the 12-14k gvw range for 7-8k easily, take all of that minus the wheels/tires/axles and thats basically what you buy for a dump body on a truck right?

The 06-08 F550s say they have a 7k front axle, and 13k rear axle, or 13,500. Either way, you have a capacity of about 20k in weight. Why are the F550s rated at 17,900?

And if the back axle can support 13k, how do guys haul 15 yards of mulch heaping up over a 12' landscape body, assuming the body is 2k in weight and the back of the truck is almost 2k in a crew cab. Assuming just 900lbs per yard, your at 13,500lbs for the mulch only, plus any cargo, fuel, crew, trailers tongue weight, the body is 2k and the truck without the body probably has 2k on the rear axle alone, thats over 5000lbs over what the back axle is rated at?

I see companies do this all the time though. The one local company had their crews load 04-06 Ford F550s heaping over with no room left, and drive them around to spread mulch, the back was squatting like my 91 F150 with 2400lbs in it lol.

2. evont22

evont22 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I had a 12' Crysteel landscape dump installed in January and it was around $10,000 after taxes and all. Its an awesome body- door on passenger side, steps, spreader/fold down tailgate and aluminum ramp built into the body. Around here, the western understructure is also nice.

3. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If your getting quotes, the upfit company on route 130 south is kinda expensive. Reading body company out in PA is a bit cheaper for most of the bodies. I was pricing them earliere this season. Also, t seemed like the place on 130 had to order just about everything as where the other place had a good selection in stock!

I have also seen some of the new f550's with a 17,900 gvw. I've mainly seen them with utility bodies though, most of the 550's for dump or towing applications are a 19000 gvw.

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

ram air i agree with you that rugby body is the nicest one built!!

6. Ramairfreak98ss

:) Do you have one by that comment? If so i want some pictures. What do you like about it and is there any dislikes from guys on here? Ive heard of the crysteel ones too but havnt seen them enough to know which ones they are. Ill check into the gvws of the new f550s.

7. Ramairfreak98ss

It is a 19,500 gvw

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/medium-duty-trucks/find/listing/2008-FORD-F550-92642894

Has anyone with an 08 removed the DPF and runs a tuner of some sort in a commercially registered ford superduty truck yet? I know a lot of the guys on powerstroke.org have tunes with the dpf gone and theyre getting great milage with them, just wondered if you can still pull that off with commercial DOT inspections.

I know my 06 diesel passed with no cat and a silverline 4" exhaust fine, but dont know if they check for all the stuff on the 08s? If i "cant" take it off, and would be stick with sub 10mpg milage forever.. i wont even bother looking at new, ill wait and find a 05-07

8. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

9. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I have done alot of work for them they have a nice new place that they just do the body/plow installs now,and a very large chassis inventory where they do the body installs. good people.

10. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

My '04 F-550 has a 19,000# GVWR. I'm not sure that it's 15 yards in the back of those bodies!! That's a lot of mulch! I have a Crysteel dump with board sides (not a whole lot of room but enough) and I can only squeeze 7-8 yards in there. I'm a hair underweight there. I dunno, maybe it is 15 yards.... either way, YES- they are overloaded. But I'm sure the truck can handle more than the manufacturers rating.