What does a 20,000lbs hook lift unit cost?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mrusk, Apr 15, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I need to start seriously start thinking about my next truck. I know its going to take time to find a good cab and chasis. I will be looking for a 33k gvw truck.

I want to go with a hook lift system. I know some of you guys love your switch and go systems, i just do not want to take a chance with one of those. I know if i spend the money on a good hook lift that it will last almost forever (i hope).

I am just trying to put together some preliminary numbers. I want 2002-2004 truck. I like the new style internationals like Tthomas has. I am hoping to find one with 125-150k miles for $ 22-25k. Is that resonable?

I am not going to go with any tool box behind the cab like the other guys run. Personally, i do not see the point of having that box with no top. I may go with just a simple 24inch steel box. But nothing more than that.

Is a 20,000lbs hook lift the right size you would put on a 33k gvw truck?

Oh yea.. once i get the truck it might take me 6 months or so to finish it. I want to bank roll it myself. I do not want to be a sucker with payments anymore!!!! I figure if i want it ready to work next spring, i better start it around June this year.

Anyone have any adivce from trucks to the hook lift unit?
  2. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

I have the switch and go system and if you want to take a look at it I am probably not that far from you. I service the Northeast corner of PA, the area around I-84. If you are in northern NJ it can't be that far for you. I bet you would like the setup.

You may like it or you may hate it, but it is at least worth a look. I have to tell you that this year is my first year really up and running, last year everything took longer to get done then expected and I ended up with a slow year. Some of the jobs from last year got pushed to this year so I have a good part of the summer already booked. I do have some room to add the smaller jobs but I have a larger job that I posted on here. I just upgraded from a smaller tractor/loader/backhoe to the Ingersoll-Rand BL-570 and I feel that it better matches the size of truck and my equipment needs.

I have the storage body, drop box, and dump body with fold down sides, the toolbox behind the cab and on the sides. All this on a 01 Sterling Acterra 33,000 GVW truck that had 92,000 miles on it for under $60,000. I honestly can't think of a better setup for hardscaping for the money. It may not be super heavy duty, but it isn't like you are going to be hauling materials like a tri-axle would be, day in and day out. It is a good strong unit and able to take the abuse that a person/company doing hardscapes can dish out.

Let me know if you are interested in looking at the truck. Good Luck.
  3. mrusk

Yea i might take a look at the truck in the up and coming weeks. I am out of Sussex county about 25 minutes from milford.

What is the dry weight of your truck with a box on it? I am just curious of the payload capablities. I am more interested in the system because of the easy of moving machinery instead of picking up supplies.

4. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

My dry weight is between 16,000 - 17,000 depending on fuel, tools, etc... so I can carry 8 tons legally. I have it setup so I can drop the box and load a skid steer in the back and lift it back onto the truck, I have the D-rings inside the dump body. I really think this is the swiss army knife in a truck, it will do everything a regular dump would do and more.

I bet you would like the toolbox behind the cab once you saw it, it is really nice to have a place to keep your tools and be able to move items like a compactor between jobs without tieing up the dump box. I don't store anything more valuble then rakes and shovels overnight, and I keep the truck at my house so the fact that it doesn't have a roof does not hurt. If it did have a roof it would actually be less useful or would need to be taller. Most people who look at the truck wouldn't know that there is no top.

Let me know when you might be coming up, I have some work in the Lords Valley area and that is the exit after Milford so I can meet you there. Depending on when you call the equipment could be over an hour from that location. I could also let you know when I am down that way doing work, I try to cover a larger area and I could go up to an hour in any direction from my house.
  5. mrusk

Walt it wouldn't be for a few weeks or months. I am finally getting out working this week and got to get that $$$ back in my account!

Hmmm i wish i could get the payload in the 10 ton range, so i could haul my skid and future mini x on the flat bed..
  6. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

You let me know when, I'm here all summer.

I have my truck set up so that I can put one piece of equipment in the back of the truck and I can tow a trailer with another piece of equipment. It is registered for 44,000 GCVW so that I can tow 10,000lbs even with the truck fully loaded.

Good luck this summer.
  7. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

We bought our truck used w/ the hooklift on it. Its a 20 or 22k american roll off hooklift. We have 2 containers and 2 flatbeds one our hydroseeder is mounted to. The truck Is amazing one of the best decisions I've ever made. We have a peterbilt 330. im pretty sure the gvw is 36k and the empty weight is around 14 or 15k, im not to sure though. Im actually trying to find a small storage container now like one of those "Pods" this way I can mount everything in it, wheelbarrows, hand tools, etc. Then the night before a big planting job I can drop the container off and everything is right there for the guys...
  8. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

The 20K hooklift is a great size for a 33K chassis. Its a little heavy for my class 6 but nonetheless, it's what I have and it works great for me.

IMO, the hooklift is more convenient than a S&G for several reasons...such as

Its nice to be able to walk or push a wheelbarrow between the truck and body with the body still attached in the rolled off position.

More control - Its nice to be able to push the truck away from the box and vise versa. Don't think you can do it with S & G.

No need to get out of the truck to drop the box and/or pick up another.

Finally, the hooklift is cooler looking with the big arm reaching over and grabbing. Helps justify higher prices for your services.

Tool boxes, consider a 24 X 24 X 72 underbody box. Mine's heavy as heck and holds a lot of stuff. Its an RC.

Good luck and you'll love that truck when you get it all together. It may take some time though as mine did.
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

33K is the perfect size for a 10 ton body and lift. Can't wait to see what you end up with.
  10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Might be pushing the limits of a single axle with 10 tons your going to need a tandem axle if you want to haul 10 ton with a hook lift. The heaviest single axle your going to find is a truck with a 12,000lb front axle and 23,000lb rear axle. The big problem is braking power a single axle doesn't like to stop when loaded up heavy.

Here is a truck with a 20,000lb hoist and heavy truck its something I would buy.

This would be another choice its a single axle with conventional rails.