What does a bed shaper do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Feb 10, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Forgive my ignorance, but I hear all this talk off bed shapers and I have no idea what they are......please explain!

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

They shape beds!

Next???????????????????????//

3. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Very funny Homer, I figured that much, but I'm lookin' for a more detailed explanation.....

4. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm wondering the same thing?
    Is this a different machine from the one the does the "trenches" I see around the edges of beds?
    If not, please give info on both machines.
    THANX!

5. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I think they're the same thing, theres always a bunch of ads in all the mags about them. You can put different blades to get different thickness's and adjust the height so you can go deeper for small trenching work. I've heard good and bad about these machines. SOmeone that has used one can give more info I would think ;)!!

Sorry!

7. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

I own one by trench master....wish i had one from the start..beats a tiller and a pick anyday...it will save you HOURS on a job...

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I'm as ignorant as the rest of you that's why I made an ignorant remark. I've never used one but always see them in the magazines. I suppose you would lay out your pattern and use it to outline then use a sod cutter or something more labor intensive to remove the grass then plant your plants.

Just a guess, I've seen Gary Allen use a sod cutter and a shovel to do his on HGTV----------and his little spray paint thing-a-ma-jigger.

9. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

All they do is leave that nice squared off defined look between the grass and the bed. Fairly easy to use and save alot of back breaking work.
    mowingmachine

10. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure, but I think they are the same,just different wording and yes you can change the blades to do different things.I have a brown and love it!Hey Homer,I'am no Gary Allen but I do have one of those spray paint thing-a-ma-jiggers,that and a garden hose for lay'en out new beds."Makes me look like I know what I'am doing"anyway