What does bahia look like?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by beaver29, Aug 10, 2005.

1. beaver29

beaver29 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm new to this game. Can someone post some picks of bahia grasss?

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

heres one...

April 2005 lawns 028.jpg

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

this is closer up

April 2005 lawns 030.jpg

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I hate cuttin bahia. No matter how hard I try, I just shred the crap outta it.

5. valleylawn79

valleylawn79 LawnSite Member

looks like pasture grass mixed all up here. grows an inch overnight. seems like it will grow in a drought. but with rain it will grow a foot a week here. terrible on my blades

6. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I consider it more of a weed. Needs cut every 4 days this time of year.

7. rough cut

rough cut LawnSite Member

I've got 10 full acres of it to cut. Need to stop and chg blades after half way. Its even worse when I cut during the middle of the day. No mater how sharp the blades, the Bahia just folds over without getting cut. Need to cut it early when there is heavy dew or after the noon time rains. :cry:

8. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

Yep, it's a pain and looks like crap to boot. My low quaility Crapsman blades won't las ta day withouyt being sharpened. I can't wait to get a ZTR, I'm leaning towards Hustler right now and one reason is the Fusion blades that ppl talk about, if they stay sharp that much longer that regular blades I'm game anyday.

The bahia in the pics looks good to me. Also, I think it will grow in a drought because I cut every 2 weeks onb my accounts and some are 12-14" tall in 2 weeks with bahia :cry: When we are havin a good wet season, you can't turn your back on it or it will need it again.

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I cut a grass similar to bahia, but with a thinner leaf blade, and a bit less aggressive growth habit.

depending on the fert schedule, it wil grow between 3"-5" a week. mulches terrible, and discharges ok. it is extremely hard to cut, and will bog a mower like nothing else. makes teh blades dull in 4 hours use. and the seed heads.... we won't even go there. for all that though, it is a great looking grass, and the only thing that will tolerate salt. (you can water with ocean water, as long as you flush it with fresh once a week).

10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I haven't seen any in my area. It looks like pain to cut though. Is thick st. aug worse than this stuff?