What does ethanol do to small engines?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by exmarkking, Nov 2, 2013.

1. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

I've noticed that the ethanol will destroy primer bulbs, fuel lines, and the gaskets inside carbs. What else happens to small engines running ethanol fuel?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

It gums up the engines also

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing on Echo trimmers and blowers is the primer bulb andgas tank gromet, nothing else. I do believe the use of Red Armour 2stroke oil might make ddifference.

4. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the problems with ethanol fuel rests with the users (primarily) and manufacturers. With proper care you'll get many years out your equipment.

5. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO_-ufHVc_8

It's going to get worse which is why I now,not only treat the gas in2 stroke equipment,but,also,the gas for mowers,our cars,and our trucks,both,business and personal.

Car manufacturers are now building new cars to help combat the effects of ethanol.

6. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

Russell,
    What do people do to cause the problems with ethanol? I know we run every piece of equipment everyday. Nothing ever sits for more than a day and we still have all kinds of problems.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

That may be, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I remember back in the early 1980s (yes, 30 years ago), when the US had the first "oil shortage" and they were going to ethanol fuel, all the outboard engine manufacturers swore within the next year or two all their engines would be designed to be ethanol resistant to cope with the new fuel.

Guess what, 30 years later we are still having the same problems with fuel lines and other non ethanol resistant parts. Think I'll pass on the silver bullet solution.

8. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure. I don't add any additives to my fuel other than 2 stroke oil and when I run any of it, it is wide open. I store very little fuel during the off season and what I do store I add an additive and mix fresh fuel with it prior to using. the equipment is run dry of all fuel during the off season. All of my equipment start on the first/second crank and run great. I am anal about cleaning/replacing filters/plugs and oil frequently. Everything is stored indoors. I see many LCOs with trailer loads of equipment that look like it has never been cleaned, serviced or seen the indoors. Not saying you are one of them but many bring issues on themselves.

9. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. More problems happened with the removal of lead than addition of ethonal. I see guys lay down 50-60 bucks for a repair due to old fuel in occasional use units. Recommend MotoMix. "Yeah, maybe next time"
    Stupid freakin morons. Easier to ***** and whine.

10. themadcutter

themadcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from florida

mostly it increases the over all cost of operation. wastes valuable farm land for the purpose of an environmental stunt.
    and makes fuel last a very short time in storage.