What does ethanol do to small engines?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by exmarkking, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.fuel-testers.com/index.html

You can buy quick and easy portable fuel testing kits where you can quickly test the gas right at the pump. This site has a ton of links and info about gas and ethanol.

2. 04cubcadet3235

04cubcadet3235 LawnSite Member

Here you go. http://www.ksgrains.com/ethanol/regmyths.html. Personally i like the 10% ethanol, just not for engines before 1995. There are good things about it... For older engines there are newer carb kits and hoses to make the old engines run on ethanol fuel better also.

3. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

You posted a site sponsed by the Kansas Corn Commission

4. 04cubcadet3235

04cubcadet3235 LawnSite Member

All i know is it tells the truth about ethonal fuel that it has good effects and not all are bad.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This filter is significantly cheaper at Rockauto.com. It goes for $5.53 instead of Jack's $31.14.

6. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Richard,the link was to show the note on ethanol more than it was for price.Two years ago year I paid almost $40 thru dealer. I ordered one for stock which came yesterday from BMA Auto parts in Cali. The filter was $6.05 .The price makes it a no brainer to change filter yearly given the standards for gas/fuels of today in my opinion.

7. Richard Martin

I believe that you can stick to the manufacturers recommendation for these filters. I ran mine right to 1500 hours with no problems. It is an automotive filter and most people never bother changing the fuel filter in their vehicle unless they have a problem. I've also never seen a fuel filter become damaged. I've certainly seen them clog up, but never damaged by fuel.

8. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

You are probably right,it just makes me nervous that all of a sudden,they are worried about ethanol when using this filter.I think i changed my filter for the first time at 1800 hours. I could barely blow thru it.:hammerhead:

9. Richard Martin

At 31 bucks a pop, they make a LOT of money on each filter that they sell. Of course they're going to encourage people to replace it every year. If you have concerns call Bosch and ask them instead of taking advice from a thieving dealer.

Bosch Customer Service:
    888-715-3616

10. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Got that right! If another source is selling it for $7 and making a profit, how much are they making per filter selling it at $31?

Good advice Richard.