1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What does ethanol do to small engines?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by exmarkking, Nov 2, 2013.

1. 04cubcadet3235

04cubcadet3235 LawnSite Member

It is all engines, not just diesel engines.
  2. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Cummins is not the only engine available, the new version of the DT466 now known as the MAXXFORCE DT is still based on the DT466. We just got 8 more trucks in our fleet that have the new DT and 2 with the the MAXXFORCE 9 (530 replacement).

Also, we have a 2012 Peterbuilt wrecker with Cats new version of the C13, the now named CT13. This is the engine that is now in the Cat on road trucks. www.drivecat.com. The trucks are nice, if you haven't been in one yet...

Just saying... :drinkup:
  3. 04cubcadet3235

DT466E MAXXFORCEDT is the same engine, they just don't say "DT466E" anymore, because the MAXXFORCEDT is the newer "emisson" engine. Also, how is that injection system on your cat CT13? I hear there are lots of issues but have not seen one yet. They still make the MAXXFORCEDT/DT466E they just don't use them unless you request them, I was told that you have to pay a $5000 government fee for that motor because it does not meet emissions. No i haven't been in one of those new peterbuilt trucks yet but hopefully i will soon. The guy who rents from us has about 10 or 15 trucks and his newest one is a volvo, it sure is nice. It has every feature known to man. Honestly, if we didnt have all this enviromental crap we would be on my favorite motor, the DT466E 12 valve motor last produced in 2003. 2003 was international's best year for that motor in my opinion, i believe they did some updates to it. Only problem with that motor is trying to get any more power out of it than what it came from the factory with...
  4. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

The Pete is nice, alot of plastic in the one we got. The Cat trucks are really nice. Not sure if you misunderstood me, but Cat is making their own trucks under the Cat name now...

So far we haven't had any issues with the C13 in the Pete. But the Detroit series 60 that is in the other truck will out run it. We were trying to find a chassis with a C15 in it when we ordered the wrecker but there weren't any available by that time.
  5. 04cubcadet3235

No i didn't see you said cat is making their own trucks, i have yet to see one yet, they probably are very nice though. We'll have to see how they hold up in the long run...
  6. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you. Nice post.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's not an issue with ethanol. That manual is intended to be used with 2 completely different EFI systems. The older Bosch EFI and the new Kohler ECV/ECH system. There are marked differences between the 2 systems. They're attempting to kill 2 birds with one stone. The Bosch fuel filter can be safely run to 1500 hours.
  8. 04cubcadet3235

I knew this had nothing to do with ethonal, but everyone needs something to blame so everyone blames ethonal... My question here is, since i have never tore apart a kohler efi before and only work on carb ones. Which system was overall better? Ive heard the older style efi system gave better fuel economy and those engines were a bit more powerful and the new system uses more fuel and creates less power.