What does everyone do about vacation?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by AAXteriors, Feb 21, 2007.

1. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

I know that everyone is thinking about the upcoming season but it just hit me. I have been wanting to get a bunch more mowing contracts this season but i just realized that my family has been planning a 2 seperate 1 week vacations in july and august for this year. now i know this might complicate things. What do all of you do if you have a similar situation?
  2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing really. I just go. I have enough employees to keep the place running while I'm away. When I worked alone I waited for the off season to take vacations or just did a long weekend here and there.
  3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

If you are solo I don't know how you would work this. I only take one during the season for about 3 or 4 days fri, sat, sun and maybe monday. My wife sayes the employees can handle that much, but I always get a call from them when something happens.
  4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I have one in April, August and Oct:cool2:
  5. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I get one every winter. Lasts from mid December to end of February.
  6. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

They end up being more a headache than pleasure.You are worrying about everything when you are gone or your dealing w/ it when you get home. Take long weekends or wait til the winter.
  7. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

Thanks.. I guess ill just have to see how it turns out this season. I might just have to wait until I am not a one man outfit to do this ;)
  8. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

Vacation...? I heard of those things awhile back...from a union guy I think...

Depends on the stability of your team. I am hiring a guy to work him into a foreman over the other guys so I have to wait until at least mid-summer...
  9. mike plummer

mike plummer LawnSite Member

VACATION ??? WHAT'S THAT take 4 of july weekend and all winter
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Your family does not know what you are doing, or they would have never planned a two week vacation. From that viewpoint, in order to make a solo operation work, you are going to have to work at getting their understanding and support before starting. When starting out, with very long hours, very long weeks, as a solo operator, you need all the family support you can muster. If not, you need to try something else for a small business.

As somebody stated earlier, the off-season, or at least slow-down period, is for taking vacation, not in the midst of the heavy work schedules.