What does everyone due for money in winter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WeedWhacker69, Jul 3, 2001.

1. WeedWhacker69

WeedWhacker69 LawnSite Member

I know its the first of July but I was just wondering what everyone does in the winter months? I plan on snow plowing but it does'nt snow everyday so was just kinda wondering?

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Monthly and yearly contracts save me during the slower times.

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

may get a little "warm" in the summer .....
    we mow grass n do landscaping year round ;->

4. kturner

kturner LawnSite Member

Yeah, we mow every month but January here and weed about the same so people sign up for contracts more readily.
    When there's snow on the ground though? The only things I could suggest would be cleaning gutters, and read up on pruning trees, hedges, and large bushes.
    Sometimes you can sell people on the idea that snow crushes or damages certain shapes of plant and a visit after each heavy snow to remove the snow would be advisable. Our vegetation here isn't used to heavy snow and we saw alot of damage last year. Don't know how that would work for ya though.
    Good luck!

5. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Leaf clean-up, snow plowing when available, and yearly pre-pays.

6. dhicks

dhicks Member

I sit on my can and collect a nice retirement from the government: I will be staying in Canada for a month or two and then return to Best Buy until early spring to keep up my people/sale skills.

It is a wonderful life!

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I plow snow, do carpentry, plumbing, electrical jobs and in my spare time Moderate Lawnsite.com :)

8. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I sell firewood and am carefull to save enough for the winter through out the rest of the year.

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

When the grass isnt growing:
    Plowing, Remember I'm from Buffalo. Last winter killed most people with contracts and per plows made out real nice. First plowable snow of the season, 20 Some inches in 24hrs durring the day. Then enough to plow for about a month non stop.

Could always put up X-mas lights for the elder people.
    Clean gutters (when not frozen)
    Leaf Cleanups
    Catch up on that paperwork you have been putting off all year.
    Remove trees that fall (after storms).
    If you have a empty enclosed trailer haul things. Possibly for a small store's x-mas supplys.
    Take that much needed vacation down south (and hope you not needed up here to plow).
    Fix all the little things that need to be fixed and clean the shop/garage.
    Get another job possibly x-mas help.

10. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I go Marlin fishing in Cabo San Lucas Mexico. The only problem is I haven't figured out how to get paid for this!!!

I do leaf cleanups in November and December. Spring cleanups and aeration/seedings in February. But the key is if mowing is your thing, get contracts so you are actually bringing home more money in the winter.--less labor and fuel costs.