What does insurance cost?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by juststartin, Feb 5, 2003.

1. juststartin

juststartin LawnSite Senior Member

I am 16 and I am planning on cutting grass this summer with a walkbehind.What would liability insurance cost me? Any help would be appreciated:confused:

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in Georgia also. Heres my cost per year for Lib. ins $350.00 for 500,000.00 per claim. total 1,000,000.00 coverge per year

3. juststartin

juststartin LawnSite Senior Member

J&R does the size of your business matter and if it does how many crews/emploees do you have? thanks

4. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

I guess I need to move to GA. In New Jersey it very very high. I pay $4,000 on up. Travis:blob2:

5. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

Four grand! Ouch! Mine is $600/yr for 2 mil (up to 1mil per occurrence, 2mil aggregate) and only $320/.yr for my bond!

6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Just startin-- unless you are maintaining large commercials which require insurance I would not get it if I were you.

Before everyone starts stoning me just listen! You are 16, no one expects you will have insurance. If you are sued for $50 million bucks then a $50 lawyer will negotiate the settlement down to $10. There is just no need for commercial insurance unless you are bidding properties that require it.

BTW- my gen. liability runs around $1100/year. My truck insurance is about $1200/year. If I had personal insurance on my truck it would be around $600/year.

7. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Well I have paid as high as 850.00 but it didn't cover pesticides what I have now covers pesticides and 1 million GL is $318.00 a year!!

Jim

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

$500 for 1 mil/ 2 mil agg.
    You might check in your area for just 100K and see what that cost. It's not much, but doubt you need much and you can, at least claim that you are insured.

MATT

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

For me 1 million liability and 10,000 property $2,300 a year.

For workers comp about $1,100 a year

10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I pay around $800 to $900 per year for 1million/2 million with pesticide included. Last year was around $600 with no pest.