1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What does it mean when your Tall Fesue grass blades look like this...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ShawnDH, Jun 22, 2005.

1. ShawnDH

ShawnDH LawnSite Member

I have some areas that look like this pic. I just sodded this grass about 3.5 weeks ago. I haven't added anything to it yet but I'm thinking about using a fungicide. I live in the Atlanta, GA area and it's getting kinda hot here. I'm trying to keep it alive until the fall. So far it looks good except for a few patches that have died. I'm trying to avoid more patches from becoming diseased and dying. Any suggestions. And yes, I have been watering early in the morning.

fescue blades.jpg
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I would agree on the fungus. Hard to tell which one from the photos. Is there mycelium present in the morning when dew is on the ground (looks like a delicate spider web), a close up of the lesions might help too. Best bet is to ID the fungus and then we can possibly help with recovery (water less, apply nitrogen, mow higher, etc).
  3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

If you've only been watering in the morning,you're not watering enough.With the temps and lack of rain we've had,sod(well, fescue in general) needs lots of water.Dead patches can also just be from poor soil contact.Did they roll the sod after it was installed?
  4. Duder

Duder LawnSite Member

With the the weather you are experiencing and the picture you provided, it looks like Brown patch - most severe during extended periods of hot, humid weather.

Quick description of Brown Patch - leaves remain upright, lesions are present on the leaves which are tan in color and have a dark brown border.
  5. scout_pete

scout_pete LawnSite Member

I don't know how much damage can be done or how far Brown Patch can go in Georgia's climate, so I will let the regional experts comment on whether there is any urgency to treatment. I would say that a newly sodded lawn like your needs some time to become established before it will take well to any treatment.

FWIW, Brown Patch occurs in fescue around here, but nobody gets too excited about it. Same with rust molds. Climate/moisture/drought cycles tend to keep such things from getting out of hand around here. If you lose some of your new lawn, overseeding fescue in the fall isn't that expensive or complicated of a prospect. You might be planning to do that anyway. My suggestion is to follow the watering advice and reassess in the fall when your turf is more receptive/less stressed anyway.