What does this lawn need?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Eddie B, Apr 20, 2005.

1. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

If you re-seed now, good luck crabgrass season is here. Why fight it?

2. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Should I seed or recommend sod?

3. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I would dethatch and then aerate. Then seed, cover with straw, and tell the customer to water the piss out of it.

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I know nothing about your area. Having said that, if you are worried about crabgrass or other enemies making a comeback, spray it dead then loosen the soil then lay sod. Then water at least daily with 3/4 inch of water for 7-10 then every other day for another 14 days then gently break it to the amount that it will normally be watered.

By killing then buying CERTIFIED sod you will have little to no weed problem.

Seeding is a whole different ball game, sporadic germination, did you get weed contaminated seed The list goes on.

good luck.

5. tez34

tez34 LawnSite Member

Just run away

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure what path I would take, looks to me like the yard has been cut very low for sometime an allowed the weeds to take over. What ever path they take the cutting height needs to be raised in my opinion.Do you cut this yard or are they just subbing a grass install by you? If the property owners mow this yard I would run the other way fast and hard, it is going to be hard to get a good stand of grass and then it comes back to that guy I hired dont know squat about seeding a yard. Sorry been there done that too many times

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing you need to do is find out what the underlying problem is. By the last picture, I can tell that isn't dead crabgrass. It doesn't appear to be grub damage in that pic, because of the amount of grass in bunches that is left. The first couple of pics look like grub damage, but the couple following those (of the front) look like something else. I am guessing chinch bugs, or something of the sort. To any extent, the whole thing doesn't need killed off. Work up the dead areas with a thatcher, overseed, and work in. Use starter fert., and water. water, water (just keep it moist). Spot spray with a selective herbicide (Drive would be great). Hit it again 3 weeks later with starter again. Then, 2 weeks after that, something like 24-5-11 (ONLY IF IT'S KEPT WATERED).

8. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Just power seed. I could make that look like a golf course in 3-4 week (assuming i did the work late Aug-Sep). Send me an email if you want specifics.

Total it would take about 4 hrs and you could net $500-600. Selling the benefits of seeding over cheep sold will win every time.