What does turbo failure sound like?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bobcat_ron, Jul 20, 2008.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

For the last 3 days, I get a loud, ear piercing whistle from my turbo on my '05 Ford PSD that starts from 0.5 psi and stops at just over 10.5 psi of turbo boost, it's loud, I mean people are staring, and not just at my freakish handsome rugged good looks, I mean kids and babies are screaming with their hands over their ears as I pull up and take off from a red light, but it has just as much power as it always does, the EGT's never get over 1050F and the boost still gets up to 27 psi, I can't get any answers from "god" (Google) and if it was turbo failure, it would have imploded by now after 3 days of hard driving.

What gives?

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

3. bobcat_ron

Screw it, I hate registering for a topic like that.

4. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a gasket leak to me. I had a turbo toyota 22R that did that and it was the gasket. May just need snugging up.

5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

It sounds like it could be going out...but i have heard this in the past when they get older they can get louder. inspect the area around your turbo for any clamps to come off, or the intake coming off. how many miles you got?

6. bobcat_ron

I have 35,000 kms, I popped the hood last night and there was nothing out of the ordinary, it was in at the dealer last week and they would have caught it. I do a lot of heavy pulling with it and the engine is still under warranty, so I think I'll just wait until something goes "clunk".

7. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the specs and then check the torque on the turbos fasteners. It is likely that it is sucking or pushing air through a very tiny leak, making the whistle.

8. theWRIGHTcut

theWRIGHTcut LawnSite Member

yeah i agree with 44DCNF... any induction with the smallest crack or leak could make for a great whistle!

9. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My neighbor's whistles so loud I can hear him a 1/2 mile off. I figured it was some aftermarket parts. Pretty cool actually.

10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

his is probably an 03. they whistled real loud.