What Does What?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by vipermanz, Mar 19, 2002.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

what do the more common chemicals do for a lawn??, i know nitrogen,phosphorus,iron, just trying to gain more knowledge on the subject:)

2. Commander

Commander Banned

Do you just want the macro nutrients, or do you want the micro nutrients too? There are 17 essential elements for plant growth, 14 of which are mineral elements. You have; N, P, K, Ca, Mg, and S are your macro-nutrients. Then you have your micro-nutrients which are Fe, Mn, Zn, Cu, B, Mo, Cl, and Ni? - Nickel. I believe the other 3 elements are C, O, and H

Carbon makes up about 90% of the plant
    H is needed for PSN and some other things, H+ concentrations in soils is what pH is all about.
    Mo is needed for nitrification (only element more available at pH >7
    K helps the plant to combat stress and to help with maturing
    Ca strengthens cell walls and strongly influences the availability of other nutrients
    Mg is the central part of chlorophyll mollecules
    S is present in a lot of amino acids required for protein synthesis

as for the other ones you gotta ask these guys as I don't have any good reference material with me.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

vipermanz

Commander has given you some good info. There are in fact 17 elements needed by plants to grow and produce there own food. Nickel was not discovered until 1989 and what it does with in the plant is still not Known. 99% of your fertilizer salesman still don't know about Nickel and no fertilizer company has added it to there blend. What ever nickel does with in the plant, it is used it trace amounts.

For information on the other 16 Elements check out my website. It was written for homeowners. But, it should give you a start. This website is written it true Ric fashion, spelling and grammar errors included. But the info is good. I have added a link to the fertilizer page. If you need more info I have a list of books that you can wade thru. Good Luck

Ric's website on fertilizer

4. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Vipermanz,

Ric's website has a ton of information! Go check it out!

5. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

Ric Great site I really like the fertilizer info.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Nebraska & Harvestman

Thank you for your kind words. I am hoping to get back and add more info. But it takes time and lots of work. Your kind word make it worth it.

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

HEY!!! All that was copied from my website!! Just kidding, very informative site!

8. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

extremly informative site ric, thanks so much!!!!!!!

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Kirby

You bring up an interesting point. Copyright laws take very dim view on those who might steal my work. Yes I put it on the world wide web for all to read. Yes anyone can click on print to retrieve a copy. But if they try and publish all or any part of it, copyrights laws take affect. Since My site is in all the search engines and I get hits everyday from all over the world (a lot from China & Russia) I am sure this has happen already. However I have not caught anyone as yet. My site meter records each hit and where they are from. How long they stay on and how many pages they read. My site meter does not read cookies but could if I wanted it to. I will bet a lot of people don't know how public there private computer is.

Anyone wishing to publish or use this material need only contact me for written permission.