What does your leaf/waste hauler look like?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by IMAGE, Oct 21, 2007.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Just looking for some ideas on what to use to haul leaves and yard waste. I am thinking of mounting a vac on the front of a trailer, and blowing them into the box of the pickup.

Something like this, with about 4' sides, made out of aluminum, sits on the top of the box, attached like a camper top to make easily removeable. Would make a nice area for billboard type graffics also.

Anyone doing this?

[​IMG]

2. LawnMan883

LawnMan883 LawnSite Member

ideally a dump bed of some type would be best. unloading a truck or trailer that does not dump sux. i have been doing it all season. i like your idea otherwise

3. TurfCo  LLC

TurfCo LLC LawnSite Member

Leaves are just starting to fall here, and I am in the same trouble trying to shovel leaves out of the trailer. I am thinking about putting down a few ropes lengthwise and then putting a big thick tarp down. After putting the leaves on top of the tarp, I can drive to the dump site, grab the ropes sticking out from the front, and when I pull them, they should lift up the tarp that holds the leaves and dump them right out. No shovels, no PITA. We'll see how that goes...

4. DAR57

DAR57 LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

I have a friend here in NW Ohio that uses that exact set-up all year w/3 walkers and a F550 dump.

5. IMAGE

from midwest

one of those old army canvas tarps should do the trick. good thinking on that one!

6. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

You could also try a loadhandler to slide the leaves out.

7. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

the guy a bought my leaf loader from did just that. It seemed to work good for him.

8. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

Build the box with a floor. Hinge it at the end of the tail gate. Bolt down hinge pin points in the back of the bed or on the bumper so the bed box can lift upward and dump. buy a cheap atv wench and utilize it as a lift mechanizm. Make many of them and sell them for millions.

9. IMAGE

from midwest

Holy Shizzle Dude! You honestly have no idea about what your idea just spawned in my head, it is a spin off of what you said though! I have such a good idea that it just could save me a few $k! (and maybe make a buck) :cool2: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

10. lawnsandmore

lawnsandmore LawnSite Member

I thought of the same thing , but you are limited on what tools you can carry with with one (1) truck. I carry mower w/ leaf plow 4 to 6 blowers & 5 gal. gas. This itself takes a lot of space.
    I have a truck & trailer w/ truck loader made by little wounder that I put mower / leafplow into back 5' of trailer . the remaining space in trailer will hold 15 yards of leaves / blowers & gas go in truck. Also I carry 5 rakes & 1/2 doz. tarps.