1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What does your mower cost to operate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RyanD, Jul 10, 2006.

1. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

per hour? I was doing some figuring and I came up with $8.42. This included fuel, oil, filters, grease, anticipated repairs, cleaning, and replacement cost. I was just curious what others had figured.
  2. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

u cant in ur wildest dreams anticipate repairs.... and do u bring it to a carwash for cleaning or what costs are in that?
  3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

At this rate, one could buy a NEW mower (zero turn at that) every 5 months.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

could you explain how you came up with that figure in detail? maybe we can spot the problem or understand your reasoning
  5. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, that is low! We operate the LCO teaams at $13.40 mh. I shall not explain in detail, but Larry Brown has an Excel sheet to do the figures for you.
  6. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

Most ztrs use more than a gallon an hour. There is half the cost.
    Then you have blades, oil, belts, depreciation, insurance, etc...

I think that he is on target. Depends on how much his ztr cost in the first place.

Of course if he has a Deere, he won't have much depreciation.
  7. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

The mower fuel is one expense, but there's also 2 cycle mix, depreciation, truck fuel, overhead costs, insurance, worker's comp., taxes, and marketing costs. Plus whatever time is used in the back-end of the operation.
  8. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, that # seems reasonable. Like Rodeny said, the fuel can account for about 1/2 of that, then there is the labor costs associated with daily maintenance, sharpening blades, blowing it off, greasing it. Then there are the oil changes, so cost of oil/filter plus labor to change it. Then there is the cost of new blades, belts, bearings, new tires, etc. Things start adding up fast.
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I agree....now!
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

very accurate...our wb's are around $7.75 and Z's btween 8 and 10 depending on size.