What doo you doo about dog poo?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Feb 11, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Many homeowners have dogs and we all know the backyard can become a minefield. How do you guys handle all of the dog dropping? Do you pick it up? Just run it over?
  2. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

Run it over, unless they want to pay extra (alot extra) to have it picked up. Raise your striping kit if you have one or that will be a mess.
  3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

it is not the size of the dog, it is the size of the crap from the dog.

Does it not really depend on the size and frequency of the encounter.

I know a lot of people charge extra to pick up clippings.

BTW those plastic grocery bags work like a glove and bag in one. Pick it up turn it inside out ( with the deed inside) and put in the trash.
  4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

If I have the time, I go mushroom picking with a shovel. If not, I run over it and recycle it. And dry mushrooms are better than wet mushrooms.
  5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I tip toe and pirouette around the bombs. If it gets out of hand I leave a note on the door/mailbox, or make a note on the next invoice. Not much you can do about it other than deal with it
  6. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Run it over, it will be off the tires by the next yard.
  7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Run over it because im not in the pooper scooping business
  8. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

Cut around it and leave the lawn nice and long where ever a crap is. This way they have to cut it themself with sissers. It's clean next time!
  9. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I had a very bad yard last year. Big dog very small back yard, every time I did it I wish I could give up the job.

Speaking of crap on the yard, what do you guys do about apples on the ground under trees? I mulch them up :) but I thought I was being lazy.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is absolutely no way we run over it. It does NOT come off the tires in the next yard. It stays and stinks up everything. It get on the trailer, on the shoes, and in the truck. Also, if you are running you blades over it, some is getting on the blades and on the deck. Think about THAT next time you are scraping your deck! If it a frequent thing, then a note is left for the customer to have the stuff picked up, or they will be charged for the cleanup. Once they get a bill for that, they suddenly prefer to do it themselves (we just charge hourly). If you are cleaning it up yourself, one technique that I have discovered - and works well, is just use a spade shovel and insert it into the ground and push the slit wide open. Then, just push the pile in and close it by pushing on it with your feet.