What drip products do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Beartooth, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Beartooth

Beartooth LawnSite Member

I've been looking at installing more drip irrigation because there has become more of a demand for it in our area. I'm curious what brands, etc. you are using and what you like and what you would steer clear of! Thanks!

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

There are so many products out there in the drip/micro-spray category to choose from and most of them do an excellent job of delivering smaller quantities of water to specific target areas. In our district we do not use drip because of its major drawback; poly line gets cut by inattentive grounds worker and a lot of downstream clogging occurs. It's just way too time consuming for us to bother with on such a large scale of repairs that we're continually involved in.

However, I've had drip emitters on my planters at home for over 15 years and I think I've made exactly two repairs on it. Just recently I expanded my drip zone to hanging plants on a side patio that included Maxi-Jet micro-sprays for these plants. First summer we haven't lost a plant there due to triple digit heat.

This winter we will be converting a drip zone at one of our sites from poly to hardpipe with Hunter micro-spray pop-up heads on it. I'll post pics but it's still a couple of months off.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We use Netafim brand tubing with Agrifim brand emitters.

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I am not an irrigation company, but I installed a DripWorks system at my house to test out last summer before getting into doing drip for my new install customers- I give it high marks.

I can see how maintenace around it could cause some problems if you don't know where it is.

It also saves water for sure, and the plants really seem to like it.

I have pictures of some of it on my website, with some videos.

5. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

what Dirtayy said...

6. Beartooth

Beartooth LawnSite Member

What's the advantage of these two products and doesn't Netafim have the emmitters already in-line?

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

My house drip is mostly "OSH, by gosh" stuff so I guess that makes me a DIYer. :laugh:

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

dirty scrub

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

This is how I prefer to do drip.

I use the Netafims .700 tubing as my main distribution line, and then use the Agrifim 1/4" Emitter tubing around each plant. Better water distribution that way.

I have also used the Agrifim punch in emmitors in some cases.

I like the Agrifim emmitors over the Netafim ones because they are easier to install.

The best thing about using 1/4" emitter rings is that you can't break them by stepping on it (unlike shrubbers, or Xeribugs)...But then again, remember, if you break drip anywhere, you have to redo the entire thing.

:D

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Are you saying you can't break the point of connrction between the Netafim and the 1/4" emitter tubing? How much cover do you give the POC?