What drives you ???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Maxwells, May 22, 2005.

1. Maxwells

Maxwells LawnSite Member
    from NZ

I am sure we are all in business for different reasons ? but what drives you to be self employed ? what are peoples goals ? what drives you to be self employed and leave the regular wage ? the job security ? its an interesting thing and feedback would be great ..................

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

I was a police officer for 6.5 years and i hated taking orders. I had my business so one day i walked in the chiefs office and just quit. The first year was tuff. But now im making alot of money and im my own boss. :)

Richie K

www.kulakandcompany.com :cool2:
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Easy answer. The freedom to do what I want, when I want, each day. Period
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree totally, but add have fun and make money.... Show me the green!!! payup payup payup
  5. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in it for the opportunity to run things the way I couldn't run them when I worked for someone else.

Also, there was always a collection of undervalued employees where I worked previously. These guys were superstars that never got much credit because they didn't play politics very well. I always thought that if I could hire 5 or 6 of them, we could take over this town. Right now, I'm just trying to get big enough to hire them and prove my theory.
  6. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Pagefault... I was a part of a team like that. My owner was very "hands off" and I think that was his downfall. He eventually sold to Mega Co. I learned alot and am now self employed myself. I agree with your philosophy for the most part.

"What drives me?" is a great question...

What drives me is to stick to those who doubted me. One roach from Mega Co laughed after I asked if I could buy my truck as is from them when my owner quit on me. He said, "What are you gonna do? Spray yards? HaHaHa" Uh...shyeeaahhh....genius.

Then to those roaches that tried to intimidate me with a piece of crap letter from some 'ho in a cubicle who claimed to be an attorney. If you don't want to lose your customers then frickin' improve yourselves. Free enterprise is a mofo, ain't it chumps? I take slights like these and use them for motivation.

The funny part here is I am no courageous entrepreneur. I had no choice. Mega Co would have hired me alright...lol. They would have just run me down on purpose. The other Natl company here is just a train wreck I understand.

So to stay in this bitness, it had to be on my own. I have alot of room to grow, but we aren't starving.

Sorry for rambling...
  7. greenwithenvylandscape

greenwithenvylandscape LawnSite Member

My wife and I travel alot in the winter and we couldn't do that working for someone else.
  8. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

My drive this year is for a 2004 g35 coupe. Can't wait to order it in october!
  9. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

What drive? There is not drive in being self-employed!?

In all seriousness I have never been so happy as when I am working the business. I am just part time now, but I will be fulltime soon. It is so nice to not have to hear someone tell me how to do something. It is so nice to be the boss. It is so nice to work as hard as I want to, and make as much as I want to. It is so nice to hear...wow you are really young to own your own landscaping business. It is so nice.....to hear "wow that looks great." It is so nice...to hear "man am I glad I hired you." It is so nice to run across a problem, and come up with a solution.

Well you guys get the point.
  10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Hunger!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't work you go hungry, thats all the drive anyone needs