What edger do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowmasteruk, Aug 20, 2006.

1. mowmasteruk

mowmasteruk LawnSite Member

What purpose built machines do you North Americans use to trim lawn edges? Round here most mowing contractors I know just tilt their normal trimmer through 90 degrees and use that, but I find it eventually ruins the lawn edge doing it that way. I believe there is a special attachment for Stihl brushcutters. Can anyone offer some advice as to what's best to get, please?:confused:

2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I'm using a Stihl Km-110 split boom with the edger and trimmer attachments. The edger has plenty power for thick edges along sidewalks etc.

3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Stihl FC110 they run $400+ US. It has the same 4 Mix engine as the FS100RX and a few others.

Rob

4. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Shindaiwa LE230. It works great as long as you keep a manacured edge.If you get a lawn that hasn't been edged in a long time it fills up and boggs down a little, and a little shovel work. I am overall happy with it.

5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I use a echo pas 260 split boom trimmer with an edger attachment and it has served me well for 2 years.

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I would say most of the stick edgers are fairly equal. Some may be more liked than others but you should be happy with any of them.

However if you do whole bunch of edging...you may want to look at the Tanaka.

The TLE-550...oops I mean 600:

[​IMG]

Nothing else even comes close.

7. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Pugs. do you have one? how do you like the Tle-600?

8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I use the Shindaiwa LE 261...Ive ran it through lotsa overgrown stuff and it has never bogged down. Lotsa power.

9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I sell them...not many in this area buy them though. But comparing it to some of the ones that come in here...other walkbehinds with briggs/honda engines and a belt driving the blade...there is just no comparison. I have yet to test one of those belt drive ones after getting the engine running(usually after sitting too long) and be happy with the way it actually edged anything. I think most of the sticks are superior to any of the belt drive ones.

It is defintely the best walkbehind edger made. However, depending on your needs...most people do not need a walkbehind edger.

10. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I've always used a weedeater to edge. However, one of the guys I just hired with prior lawncare experience told me if I bought him a stick edger to use, it would pay for itself in time. So I bought an Echo 260. Seems to be working very well but we have to replace the blade once a week.