what edger to buy??????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by duxslayer, Apr 13, 2002.

1. duxslayer

duxslayer LawnSite Member
    from florida

I am looking for my next edger i have used stihl and echo in the past.I was just shopping around and want some honest opinions on what you guys like or dislike and y?I am looking at stihl and echo agian but want to know if i will get better performance and reliability from another brand?I am currently looking into shindaiwa,tanaka,maruyama,kawasaki,and even the 4-stoke honda.The honda however is a bit on the heavy side.
  2. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

try the shindiawa, you will probably like it. The 260 motor is really nice. Good combination of light weight, power, and reliability.
  3. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

We have always used John Deere E-35 walk behind edgers. They went out of production a couple years ago and can not be found. Just picked up our first "Stick Edger" yesterday and the guys are trying to get used to it. The two that have used it the most say they like it. Of course it is REDMAX! We demoed echo before and they hated it. (no power) The redmax has plenty.
  4. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

The Stihl straight shaft edger is great, lots of power and will cut through anything.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The new Stihl FC85 stick edger is the best out there. Its designed to not clogged. The gear box wheel makes it even easier to use. A stick edger with 2 wheels is very nice. No matter how bad the edging is, I've never had it choke down.
  6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

What's a good price for one of those Stihl edgers? I may be in the market.
  7. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to say the shin is probaly the lightest but i like the stright shaft stihl.
  8. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

FS85 FS85 FS85 FS85, my point is, this is all that i have and have been bullet proof, 65hoss is also right the FC85 is the new model and i supposed to be better have not used on yet
    AK Lawn

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

I have the older stihl edger and will look into the newer one my old one does get clogged from time to time
  10. totallpm

totallpm LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Stihl fc 85 you won't be sorry

Kevin totallpm