1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What Edgers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I was wondering what brand/kind of Edger you guys use? I Use light weight 2cycle push Edger and was wondering what is the best tool for the Job?

Thanks,
    Soupy

2. BGRANT

BGRANT LawnSite Member

I use a Mclane w/4 h.p motor.I really like it if it doesn't start by the second pull you got a lemon. :blob4:

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's the same thing I have here. The McClanes are hard to beat. I also have the Stihl FC85 Straight shaft stick edger. It is handy, quick to grab and all that, but is much more labor intensified than the push edger. I I had a large coomercial with alot of walk to do, I'd take the push edger over the stick anyday. And yes, you can go just as fast with a push edger than you can with a stick, as well.

4. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I use a Tanaka push edger for probably 90% of my stuff. The only time I use the stick edger is for curbs where the grass is uneven and higher than the blade will reach well. Push edgers are faster i think but there are times when the stick is needed.

5. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

How do you edge beds in the yeard with a push edger?I use a Lesco stick edger cume up the road and drive then go around the house and come back down drive and raod and im done.Dont see how a push edger can edge yard beds?Unless you use your trimmer, which i dont hink does as good a job on most beds.

6. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

oh, another debate about so-so is faster with their push edger than with a stick edger....I put this theory to the test a few years ago...me and a buddy did 2 lawns together that we're side by side and they we're the exact same thing....he grabbed the push edger, I grabbed the stick edger....I edged the sidewalks, road curb, driveway and flower beds in a little over 5 minutes....his time was 17 minutes and he was fast with that thing...maybe different in other parts of the country with different types of grass, I just know what works in my area, Which is Florida...

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i use an echo srm2400sb split shaft with the echo edger head. Works great and i can edge a bed in no time. Best tool ive bought in a while.

8. crs

crs LawnSite Member

I use a big 14" diameter coulter blade attached to an arm on the side of my Hustler. You can put it down and cruise along at 7-8 miles an hour:blob3:

9. totallpm

totallpm LawnSite Member
    from Utah

We sold all of our push edgers. To much time to unload and to slow. Can't beat the speed and dependability of a stihl fc85. Once you use one youll never go back.

Kevin Total Landscaping:blob3:

10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the replys. I posted this Thread because I'm thinking about posting an Echo stick edger. Now that I have made up my mind. Any recommendations on Model #?

Soupy