What Edgers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I was wondering what brand/kind of Edger you guys use? I Use light weight 2cycle push Edger and was wondering what is the best tool for the Job?

Thanks,
    Soupy

2. BGRANT

BGRANT LawnSite Member

I use a Mclane w/4 h.p motor.I really like it if it doesn't start by the second pull you got a lemon. :blob4:

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's the same thing I have here. The McClanes are hard to beat. I also have the Stihl FC85 Straight shaft stick edger. It is handy, quick to grab and all that, but is much more labor intensified than the push edger. I I had a large coomercial with alot of walk to do, I'd take the push edger over the stick anyday. And yes, you can go just as fast with a push edger than you can with a stick, as well.

4. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I use a Tanaka push edger for probably 90% of my stuff. The only time I use the stick edger is for curbs where the grass is uneven and higher than the blade will reach well. Push edgers are faster i think but there are times when the stick is needed.

5. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

How do you edge beds in the yeard with a push edger?I use a Lesco stick edger cume up the road and drive then go around the house and come back down drive and raod and im done.Dont see how a push edger can edge yard beds?Unless you use your trimmer, which i dont hink does as good a job on most beds.

6. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

oh, another debate about so-so is faster with their push edger than with a stick edger....I put this theory to the test a few years ago...me and a buddy did 2 lawns together that we're side by side and they we're the exact same thing....he grabbed the push edger, I grabbed the stick edger....I edged the sidewalks, road curb, driveway and flower beds in a little over 5 minutes....his time was 17 minutes and he was fast with that thing...maybe different in other parts of the country with different types of grass, I just know what works in my area, Which is Florida...

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i use an echo srm2400sb split shaft with the echo edger head. Works great and i can edge a bed in no time. Best tool ive bought in a while.

8. crs

crs LawnSite Member

I use a big 14" diameter coulter blade attached to an arm on the side of my Hustler. You can put it down and cruise along at 7-8 miles an hour:blob3:

9. totallpm

totallpm LawnSite Member
    from Utah

We sold all of our push edgers. To much time to unload and to slow. Can't beat the speed and dependability of a stihl fc85. Once you use one youll never go back.

Kevin Total Landscaping:blob3:

10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the replys. I posted this Thread because I'm thinking about posting an Echo stick edger. Now that I have made up my mind. Any recommendations on Model #?

Soupy