What else can I do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jun 18, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I won a judgement against a deadbeat last March for $306.40. Today, we finished up a little early, so I stopped by the small claims court to order my abstract of judgement. Once I receive that, I'll file a lien against his home. I figure eventually the guy will need to sell the home or get a home equity loan.

Of course, that could be years.

But on the way home from the court today, I decided to just drive by the guys home. Low and behold, the SOB is installing new carpet.:angry: He obviously has the money to pay.

What else can I do?

Is there a way to force his home up for sale or something?

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You could always have Guido and Rocko pay him a visit...lol.

But, a judgement is just that. You may wait a very long time to see that $306.40 (hopefully) with interest too...And no, there is no way you can force the sale of his home. Even filing Chapter 7 for bankruptcy protection protects the primary home.
  3. Texas Red

Texas Red LawnSite Member

I'm in the process of buying a home, and the seller had five judgements against him. Before we can finish the transaction, he's gotta pay those debts!

You'll get your money one day.
  4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfortunately you will have to wait, but at least it seems that you have taken the right steps so far. Good luck DFW
  5. johnson grass

johnson grass LawnSite Member

Round up his yard for having to wait
  6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I have an ex-client that owes me and has ignored 4 debt collection notices. I am ready for the next step... but what is the next step? I've never been through this before. Where do I go and what do I need to do and/or bring with me?
  7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe he was getting new carpet for ripping off the insurance company like he ripped you off! GET HIM!
  8. gr8cutter

gr8cutter LawnSite Member

In OK you have to file your judgement at the court house. Then the leins are paid for as of the filling date.
  9. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

My hope is that he's replacing the carpet in order to sell the house. I'll try to get that lien filed next week.

What a pain in the azz.

DFW Area Landscaper
  10. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

CHeck your state laws, but I believe once you have the judgement, you can get an order to garnish his wages.