What else can I do?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gslawncare, Dec 16, 2004.

1. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

I ran a motor hot on an Echo trimmer. When I was younger though I remember people told me about boring out the engines. Is it possible for a 2 cycle? Would this solve the problem? It runs and starts but when I hit the gas, it bogs out unless I leave the choke on about 9/10ths of the way. It works fine I just wish I knew that the oil couldn't sit. The blower cost $265, a new motor is 245. BS. Are there such things as a four cycle trimmer?

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Stihl makes a 4 cycle. Its called a 4 mix. They are the most powerful trimmers that i've ever used. We have one with the bike handles and we paid $350 for it. Shindawia also has a 4 cycle, they call it C4. We also have one of those and paid $350 for it. They both run on a standard 2 cycle oil/gas mix but the engines are 4 cycle. They both have overhead valves. Like I said we have both and let me tell you that Stihl will run circles around that Shindawia. It has that much power. You can't go wrong getting a Stihl 4 mix.

3. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

We used to run all Echo products, but, got tired of repowering them with new short blocks every season. They use Hard Chrome cylinder liners, which, when they get hot, will score easily. Two stroke blind hole cylinders can be bored out, the problem is going to be finding a piston and rings that is over sized to fit the new hole. You can have one custom made to size and spec, but how much are you willing to pay for that? I have paid $500.00 plus for pistons to some of our race cars, but that is a little different application.

Have you taken offf the muffler and used a flashlight to look inside the cylinder to see if it is scored? What you are describing sounds fuel related rather than compression.

If you are considering changing brands, Husqvarna will out run anything I have ever owned. We have back pack blowers that are running now 7 seasons old. We have walk edgers now on 4 seasons. And, we switched chainsaws to Husky, from Stihl, because the new Stihls can't stay idling with the fixed jet carbs. I used to have a Husqvarna motorcycle a while ago, and it was unstoppable. The engines are made by Kashwacki to Husky specs. They also pass 2015 C.A.R.B. requirements.

The dumbest thing I ever heard are these new generation 4 strokes that supposedly pollute less. They might work just fine, but you are still mixing oil and gas. Some engineer slanted his numbers to show that they pollute less. The whole thing stinks frankly. I grew up around two strokes, we owned a marina that sold Evinrude outboards, and Lawn boy mowers. Studies were done years ago regarding the environmentalist whackos claims proving all to be crap which they are. It would take 76 boats within a one acre area of water to make the impact that the nut jobs claim.

If you want less problems with a hand held piece of machinery, stick to 2 stroke, more moving parts means more to fail and cost more when they do.

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Gosh!

I wish I was that smart.

Oldtimer

5. gslawncare

The inside doesn't look so bad but what are some other things to remember when dealing with the gas oil mix. When should I toss it, after how long, and also some guy told me I should not throw it away I could just put it into my truck or mowers so I don't have to waste it.

6. gslawncare

thanx for your help, I'll have to see if my supplier carries them.