1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What else do I need to do to be "legal"? Please help - its a good cause!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Tyler7692, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi guys!

I am in Indiana and I need to know what else I need to do to be legal.

I have formed an LLC and have the Articles of Organization.

Now I know I need business insurance. Can anyone recommend a good company to go with?

My main concern is government stuff. Like I said, I have the Articles of Organization done. What else do I need and where do I get it. At this point, I have no employees. But what do I need to do as far as paying and collecting sales tax?

Is a federal tax id number what I need? What about state? Please help, trying to get legal ASAP so I can get to work!
  2. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello? Anyone?

With all the talk of being legal, you'd think people would be anxious to reply.
  3. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

You can get an EIN for your LLC through the IRS website. Some commercial clients will need it anyway so they can 1099 you for wages paid. As for insurance, I use Erie because they cover pesticide applicators. As far as I know you don't need to worry about sales tax in IN.
  4. VBsnow

VBsnow LawnSite Member

I am an agent in VA and NC so I cannot help you. But, you should call an independent agent in your area. Don't just call around price shopping. Find one that can spend a few minutes with you and help you to understand the process and figure out what your needs are. Since you are a small company, you may want to find a smaller agent who still has a good collection of companies to choose from. Push to be quoted by their "standard" markets. Have all of your information available before you call. One question you will have to answer will concern your experience not only in landscaping but management. Be ready! Avoid falling for web searches and industry magazine ads. They are just bait for the new and gullible.