What else should i sell?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheOctagon, Feb 25, 2008.

1. TheOctagon

TheOctagon LawnSite Senior Member

Hi everyone i'm new to this site and am excited to dive in. My father and i have just gotten a dealership with BadBoy Mowers. We will be servicing the south central minnesota area. The problem we have is we are starting this business from scratch. I am a powerlineman for a town near by and my dad works at a grain elevator. We are working twards getting him out of that job and workin on his own business. I fell that to really get ahead we should sell more than just these heavy duty ZTR's. What other products and brands do you recommend to sell. I am looking to get into push mowers, snow blowers, weed trimmers, maybe a cheaper ztr line, etc. Thank you in advance.

Randy.

2. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl and echo for handhelds and for walkbehinds cubcadet commercials are great, push mowers and other walkbehinds toro or exmark would be a good choice.

3. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I think you already have the "cheap" ZTR thing accomplised with the bad boy mowers. Right? Just joking but since you are new, buckle up and get ready for a lot of info coming your way with that question.Good Luck!

4. TheOctagon

Thanks snapper man. The only problem i run into is 10 miles away there are dealers for both Stihl and Echo. Are there any really good brands that get over looked? Thanks again.

5. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

What about becoming a Amsoil dealer up there in Minnesota. Sell all the oils you want for your mowers, 2-cycle equipment and an added market in Minnesota-------snowmobiles. Amsoil is big for sled guys. Tap into the vehicle market when mowing season is slow.

I know this doesn't involve big ticket items such as mowers and such, but everything you sell or may sell does require oil of some kind right? There are many other possibilities also.

Just an idea. Let me know if interested.

6. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

There are 3 Echo dealers within about 10 miles of each other in my town, and 2-3 Stihl dealers in the same area. You could check out Shindaiwa, RedMax, and Husqvarna.

7. TheOctagon

I have been thinkin about that too. I run Amsoil in my car already and have always ran it in my sleds. I also run it in my mower. I think becoming a dealer would be a definate plus. What all does it require to become one?

8. TheOctagon

Ill look into those a little closer. What have you heard about the Dolmar equipment?

9. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

Go with another commercial product that has a good walkbehind selection as well. (Exmark,Ferris,Hustler) Maybe some Honda or Toro 21" mowers both commercial and residential. Im not sure about good snowblowers. Maybe Husqvarna for trimmers, blowers,chainsaws,etc... Consider selling lawn tractors as well for residential use.

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

I'd think a more important question to be asked of you, before all these suggestions are given, is, what is your or your dad's background in outdoor power equipment repair and what engine lines have you already contacted about being authorized for?

You may think it's going to be easy to get all these other lines just because you already got one, who though it may be a really good mower, seem to set up anybody that asks.

I think that for responses here to be relative to your situation, we need more background information. The outdoor power equipment retailing and servicing industry is not one to just jump into out of the blue although many people initially do it.

Also, there are other websites better tuned to assist you with your current endeavor than Lawnsite, which is mainly for the guys out doing to cutting and landscaping and other work using the machines, as opposed to selling and servicing the machines on a daily basis. While they may be good at their respective fields, they really have no idea about the buying and usage habits of a common residential user of mowers and trimmers and other consumer power equipment.