1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What else to demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ScCo, Aug 22, 2004.

1. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

The time for buying another machine has come. I need more power on this machine that I have with my 25hp kawi, super z

Here's what I have demos setup for already. All are 60" or 61" machines.

1. JD 777
    2. 28hp EFI Super Z
    3. Scag 27hp Tiger
    4. Dixie Chopper Xtreme, 32hp generac
    5. Dixie Chopper Supreme, 28hp
    6. Bad Boy 31hp AOS
    7. Ferris 3000 extreme
    8. Everride Warrior, sucks that 25hp is max available
    9. Yazoo Max 27hp

Other than Exmark, Grasshopper and Toro, are there any others that you all would recomend me trying out? I won't deal with the companies who sell these products in my area. You can tell me I'm missing out until you're blue in the face, but I will not give these dealers a penny of my money.

Also, if there are any notable qualities, be them good or bad, of the mowers that I will be demoing that you have experienced, please let me know what they are so that I have somewhat of a heads-up on what to watch for when demoing the machines.

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Scratch #8 not enough hp , and #9. Why not keep your machines the same brand if you are happy with everything but the hp? BTW we have 3 XT3200's and an XT2800, both are plenty of hp, but the Generac has more torque.
  3. ScCo

Main reason for demoing other brands is to find something that doesn't have the discharge problems that the hustlers have in thick, heavy turf.

I guess the way we look at it is: being happy with a machine doesn't mean that there isn't something else that we wouldn't like better.

4. Sneaky

Sneaky LawnSite Member

What kind of grass are you cutting to need more than 25 hp??
  5. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

try demoing a bob cat
  6. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Another brand you didn't mention is the Gravely 260Z. These machines also have the verticle crank engine, and run the mower PTO belt straight and flat to the mower. They are even better about routing the belt, cause they have a system that only bends the belt backward 1 time as it drives the mower spindles. Back bending a belt is also very stressfull and uses more power to stretch the center V of the belt.
    The Gravely fabricated mowing deck is 5 1/2 inches deep. The blades set at least 4 inches back from the decks front skirt, and the discharge exit chute is about 2 ft wide. This all lets it move large volumes of air and grass clippings through and out of the deck without balling or plugging up, and there is less back pressure which again saves the horsepower and saves belt breakage.
  7. ScCo

I cut a lot of zoysia, and tifway bermuda, both of which are extremely thick and tough to cut. Then I have a few fescue yards that grow at insane rates and are always tough due to the height that they have to be cut from each week.

It's no big secret that 25hp isn't all that much power for a 60" machine.
  8. ScCo

I'm not aware of any bob cat dealers in my area, but I will do some looking around to see if there is one that I'm just not aware of. If so I'll see what they have that falls into the 27+ hp/60" deck category.

9. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

I do not know about scratching #9! Most of the cutters around here are trading off ther #4 and 5's for the #9 machines! I have also seen a lot of the #3 around.
  10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

the Toro Z588E is a great machine, certainly worth a look.