1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What else?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLM-1, Oct 21, 2004.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What else can i do without a license? Right now all i do is mow. In MO you don't have to carry any type of business or contractors license to provide lawn care.

Can I overseed?
    Trim bushes?
    Install mulch?

Thanks guys
  2. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

You will need to check within your local county or state...Everywhere is different. Look in the phone book in the government section and make a few calls. You cannot spray any type pesticide without a license.
  3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you saying your county/city doesn't require you to get a business license? The county I am in requires you to get a business license.
  4. PLM-1

they sure don't. i checked at all levels. city, county, state. they said i could get one but it was wasn't necessary.
  5. stizostedion_vitreum

stizostedion_vitreum LawnSite Member
    from ND

The county we operate in, doesn't require a license either. No business license required on any contracts under $2000.

Here's the law as it applies to our county:
    A "contractor" is any person engaged in the business of construction, repair, alteration, dismantling, or demolition of bridges, highways, roads, streets, buildings, airports, dams, pipelines, and every other type of structure, project, development, or improvement coming within the definition of real or personal property, including the construction, alteration, or repair of property to be held either for sale or rental, and shall include subcontractor, public contractor, and nonresident contractor.

No person may engage in the business nor act in the capacity of a contractor within this state when the cost, value, or price per job exceeds the sum of two thousand dollars without first having a license.

Therefore yes you can overseed, aerate, dethatch, cleanup, snow removal, trimming, blowing, pretty much anything other then fertilizer/weed control applications and or jobs over $2000.

It's always best to check with your local SBA or State Secretary on what applies to you and your county before you start.

6. mpblass

mpblass LawnSite Member

Hi Joplin,

In our area we do not need a license unless we are applying chemicals.

7. PLM-1

AWESOME thanks guys...i knew you would help me out.
  8. PLM-1

how do you like your snapper pro and your shindaiwa stuff? I've gotta pro 48" T2500 T231 and an LE261 edger.

if you got another shin. trimmer which one? 261 or bigger? sorry for the questions...just trying to figure out which trimmer to buy for next year. they have a pretty mean looking 351!
  9. mpblass

mpblass LawnSite Member

They are hardley mentioned on this site but I love my Snapper pro hydros. I have been running them since 98 and 99 and have had good luck with them. I havent used the Hustler t-bar or Exmarks ecs contols but Snappers loop handles are very comfortable and easy to use.
    I am planning on buying a new Shindaiwa trimmer next year but I am undecided on which one. I was looking into the t-231 4-mix this spring but my dealer said to wait until they get all the bugs worked out. apparently they have had some problems with that trimmer. So we'll see what my dealer recomends next spring. I do like my 230's real well, good power to weight ratio.
  10. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

you can do all the things you mentioned, and fertilizer too... no pesticides, but straight fertilizer is ok