what engine for ztr mower NOT to buy.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rickyd, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

Kent, Gravely are the only one"s I know of that offer Robin motors. I kind of wish the others would start.
  2. LES

LES LawnSite Member

I work for a large equipment dealer in north central ILL and we are a Kawi, Kohler, Honda, Briggs, Tech, well you get the picture. I have to say that we have had the best luck with the Kawi. by far. Kohler has had a large amount of problems with head gaskets and oil leaks. On some models where regular thorough cleaning is difficult, Kohler has had problems with over-heating due to all the dirt sticking to any and all oil seepage. Hope this info helps.:blob3:
  3. rickyd

rickyd LawnSite Member
    from tn

thanks for all the many responses and good info. this really is the best site i have seen for "useful" info i decided to get a gravely with a 25hp kawi, liked the way it handled and has a hydrolic deck lift and a full floatation seat for less than exmark, grasshopper ,scag ,etc. anyway, thanks again !!! rick
  4. all engines in differnt areas experiance diff. problems in diff areas

howhever I had a Kohler 22 hp and had nothing but problems with it

I curently have several Kohlers and have no problems incuding the 25hp hor.

and yes if you set the idle at 3650 it will put out 25hp
  5. rja

rja LawnSite Member
    from NJ

How do you clean the motor? On my Kohler 25h, it looks like you could spray engine cleaner around the head fins and hose off (on a cold motor of course) but I would be worried about getting some of the electrical stuff wet that is under the flywheel. Removing the shrouds is a major task. What would you recommend? Thanks, Rich