1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What engine is the quietest/most powerful/best running?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Floyd, May 15, 2005.

1. Floyd

Floyd LawnSite Member

Which of the following engines is the quietest/best running/most powerful? 15 or 17 Hp Kohler Courage; 16 Hp Honda V-twin; 16 or 18 Hp Honda OHV; 18 Hp Briggs/Stratton Vanguard V-twin; 15 or 19 Hp Kawasaki V-twin; 19 Hp Kawasaki 2 cycle;

I know there is an engine expert out there who can educate me!

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

They are all good engines with plenty of power but the v-twins will run quieter than the single cylinders and have more power.

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Out of that group, yes the larger HP engines will outpower the others. However when compared to the old cast iron singles, the ones listed will not last as long or produce as much torque in the same RPM ranges.

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I am going to have to say Kawi. They run and run and very quiet. My two kohler units are loud.

5. Floyd

Floyd LawnSite Member

Thanks Isgottobegreen, I thought the same of the Kawasakis also. Do you think the liquid cooled is significantly quieter than the air cooled?

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure. I don't own a liquid cooled mower so I can't tell you.

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a kohler 27 hp, and a 23 kaw, the kohler is alot quiter then the kaw, plus uses about 1/2 the fuel. But I have had great luck with the kaw, would buy either one, but lean towards the kohler the way gas prices are.

8. Floyd

Floyd LawnSite Member

Thanks wriken, I would of thought the Kawas were quieter than the Kohler. Does one feel smoother than the other?

9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

To me the kohler runs/starts, better then my kaw, noticed I said my Kaw. But I have not had any bad happenings w/kaw. Even at top rpm's my kohler seems smoother :)

10. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We have a 26 hp liquid cooled kawasaki and its a whole lot quieter than our 25 hp air cooled Kohler.