What engine is this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Feb 5, 2006.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Take a look at this pic. What engine do you think it is? Looks like a honda gxv 5 hp to me. And it's only 214 at walmart. I'd buy it just for the engine. payup

Attached Files:

2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

yep thats it......

3. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmmn. To buy or not to buy?

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'd want to see the word HONDA first. There is a company in Japan or Korea that is making Honda look-alike engines and they ain't a Honda. Just ask to see the owners manual and see if it's a Honda in the specs. The same company has been put Honda look-alikes on generators for years and selling them through Pep Boys.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

is that mower self propelled?

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Richard. There are a lot of knock offs out there, and especially with WallyWorld, I'd be skeptical.

7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes that is knock-off, probably from China.

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with 6'7 on this one, I read a post from another site where a dealer attended a MTD update seminar. He said MTD was going to the china built engines this year to further lower build cost. How much cheaper can they get. :dizzy:

9. shop22

shop22 LawnSite Member

restrorob is right. We just attended an mtd school and mtd is making there own engines for some of there walkbehinds this year to try to take more of there business away from briggs. They feel briggs is compettion now since they own murray and may start selling a briigs line of lawnmowers through the home improvment stores.

10. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

MTD = Most Tterrible Decision!