What engine you prefer on the hustler Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TNT LawnCare Inc., Nov 17, 2006.

1. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

What motor you guys using on the Hustler Z 60 or super Z ,Kohler or Kaw and Why??

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If your going with a SuperZ, go as big as you can.

28EFI
    or
    30Kohler

Or wait until next year and see if they're offering bigger options.

3. smokestackit07

smokestackit07 LawnSite Member

i have a hustler super z with a 28 EFI and it has tons of power.very pleased with it. go with the 28 hp EFI

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

WOW...same mower here. Wouldn't rate it's power in "tons" though. :rolleyes: The SuperZ needs 30+hp and 50lb/ft of torque for sure.

What powered your previous mowers that makes you feel the 28/60 is more than adequate?

5. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

I have a 27 60 real happy with it. I want a 72 34. one of the things I like about the 27 is I can buy a new one on ebay alot of times for less than a 1000$ I have no complaints over all as far as power goes but would like a bigger motor on a bigger deck.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly, with those big pumps and motors you could definately use 30+. Hard to keep the rpm's up going up long inclines.

7. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

So how do the kohler engines do , which do you prefer the Kaw or the Kohler. Which do you think is better ??

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think Kawasaki makes a vertical engine bigg enough to do justice to the Super Z. So the 28 efi and the 30 Kohler are the only options I would consider except on flat ground. Test drive one with the biggest engine, dump the sticks or go up a long or steep hill and you'll see what we mean. You need all the power you can get. I like Kaw just fine, I just don't think they would be as good in this application.

9. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

:hammerhead: I have a Super Z with a 25 HP Kawasaki on it,does a good job for me!It has more torque than the Kholer (so I've been told)!I run a Bac-Vac in the fall to get my leaves up-still plenty of power for me!I have a 60'' deck on the Z.

10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned a Super Z w/27hp Kohler and a 52" mulching deck and currently own a Super Z w/28hp Kohler EFI and a 60" mulching deck. Even though the 27hp Z only had a 52" deck on it the 60" Z with the 28hp EFI BLOWS IT AWAY!!!! Definately get the 28 EFI. The fuel savings alone will more than pay for it. With the 27hp I had to fill up every 1 1/2 days. With the 28EFI I can usually go 3 - 3 1/2 days without filling up. The 28EFI is much smoother and the response is instantanious, also starts quicker in the cold.